Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS 32mm 2" Erfle EP worth upgrading?

Bart

Good man, thanks Damo.

Actually off to Blackrock Castle Observatory this evening with my 10 year old boy. First Friday of every month there's thing for the kids and Cork Astronomy Club bring some scopes. Hope to learn something there too. Clouds as usual though. Ah well, the life of an Irish astronomer !

Thanks again.

Barry

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Barry, that sounds like a fun evening. I hope the cloud clears for you guys. Last night was amazing for the first time in ages up here but normal service has been resumed this evening ;)

• 5 years later...
On 28 February 2012 at 22:13, Bart said:

Hello all,

I received with my GSO 10" Dob from TS in Germany, a 32mm Erfle design 2" EP. I use it for widefield views and for finding the targets. Now, the view to me is much better than a 1.25" 32mm plossl I have, but wondered how much better the Skywatcher Panaview or equivalent would improve the view.

As I say, the Erfle looks pretty good to me, some seagulls lurking out there near the edges but nothing bananas. Would it be worth the expense?

Thanks for any comments

Bart

Have a 32mm TS Erfle 2 inch to stand in for my MIH Vixen. 

In my F5 dob it has vertically stretched stars & there is a slight rim of OOF ones before that, but otherwise fine. 

I believe TS also sell a 2 inch 30mm 80 deg ep, for less money. Curious how that would compare. 

54 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Have a 32mm TS Erfle 2 inch to stand in for my MIH Vixen. 

In my F5 dob it has vertically stretched stars & there is a slight rim of OOF ones before that, but otherwise fine. 

I believe TS also sell a 2 inch 30mm 80 deg ep, for less money. Curious how that would compare. 

I think this is the range that is being discussed ?:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p956_TS-Optics-WA32-ERFLE-Weitwinkel-Okular---32-mm---2----70--Gesichtsfeld.html

Personally I reckon these have the same optics in them as the Panaviews and are the same as a number of other 2" SWA branded ranges in gluding "Rigel", "Burgess Optical", "Adler Opik" and many others.

The 32mm is the best of the range followed by the 38mm and then the 26mm.

I've owned the 32 and 38 and found them to follow the familliar lower cost SWA pattern ie: pretty decent at F/10 but increasing astigmatism which for me is too distracting at around F/6.

The 30mm / 80 degree eyepieces (again available under many brandings) are chinese clones of the Japan made KK Widescan II and III ranges. The ones I've tried have had similar performance characteristics to the above mentioned SWA's, even the more expensive Japanese KK ones. If anything the "seagulls" are a little more pronouced in the 80 degree AFoV.

To confuse things further GSO do a 30mm 68 degree WF 5 element Erfle that TS says is good for F5 & slower scopes. 

All seem much of a muchness. My 32 is not heavy as the more upmarket eps. Got it more for nostalgia so not expecting Panoptic performance. I hope my NVLW 30mm is better than the Erfle though. 

Archived