NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TS 32mm 2" Erfle EP worth upgrading?

Bart

Hello all,

I received with my GSO 10" Dob from TS in Germany, a 32mm Erfle design 2" EP. I use it for widefield views and for finding the targets. Now, the view to me is much better than a 1.25" 32mm plossl I have, but wondered how much better the Skywatcher Panaview or equivalent would improve the view.

As I say, the Erfle looks pretty good to me, some seagulls lurking out there near the edges but nothing bananas. Would it be worth the expense?

Thanks for any comments

Bart

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks John

I suspect you're right. Its partly because of the mild but very, very cloudy weather at the moment, giving me ithchy fingers. The lack of observing is driving me to buy some kit, then I think, Whoa, hold on, patience is a virtue. And....breath...:)

Thanks for the input.:p

Bart

I have been considering the jump to a slightly larger 2" EP...I currently have a 25mm Deepsky which is ok, but I would love the extra fieldview and quality of a good 2" EP.

I have been considering the Skywatcher range, specifically the Aero range and the Nirvana's (with their lush 82° view) which have a bit of extra oommph when it comes to more quality EP. I have read that they have a bit more give at the edges compared to the standard Panaviews.

If you take the plunge, I would love to hear your views and I currently cannot make my mind up and fear I may buy the whole set!! :p

Hi Dan. The Nirvana's are excellent and only a hair behind the much more expensive Nagler in performance. I have owned the 7mm and the 28mm UWAN. The UWAN and the Nirvana are the same eyepiece. The 28mm in particular is a fantastic piece of kit, easily one of the best eyepieces i have looked through. To this day i wish i had never sold it.

I also had a 35mm Aero and although a very good eyepiece its not in the same league as the Nirvana.

I have heard the Nirvana's are excellent ep's and would like to try one sometime. My choice currently is the 32mm PanaView which is cheaper. The 82 degree FoV is tempting as I already have some Axiom LX's, which are excellent.

Hi Damo,

Thanks for the heads up on those Nirvana's...I will def need some kind of counter-balance on my XT8 though, i'm sure the floor won't be that appealing once that weight has it's way! lol.

I may go for the Aero for the 30mm and maybe the 28mm Nirvana...or may just go for the 35mm Aero instead, as prob not worth having 2 expensive EP's of virtually the same focal range.

Agghhh decisions!! Welcome to the world of Astronomy and the never ending money pit :p

Dan, the 28mm Nirvana will show virtually the same amount of sky as the 35mm Aero (1.9 degrees i think with your XT8). The view will also be nicer as the increased mag will boost contrast by darkening the background sky. This was one if the reasons i replaced a 35mm Panoptic with the 28mm UWAN.

Dan, the 28mm Nirvana will show virtually the same amount of sky as the 35mm Aero (1.9 degrees i think with your XT8). The view will also be nicer as the increased mag will boost contrast by darkening the background sky. This was one if the reasons i replaced a 35mm Panoptic with the 28mm UWAN.

You Sir are a legend for clearing that up!

Thank you...I think the decision has been made to be honest...Once I couple this with a counter-balance and a Skywatcher UHC Filter the world...well sky is my oyster! :p

Back on topic ;)

If you could find a reasonably priced Skywatcher Aero ED 30mm, that might be a step up from your Erfle. I've seen them for around £80 used.

They are light too, for 2" eyepieces, so don't cause the balance problems that eyepiece like the Nirvana / Uwan 28mm do.

Don't mind us lads..... !

Bart

I'm only messing with you lads, I know how easily a thread can develop a mind of its own, once there's an interest between two or more. Don't worry.;)

Thanks John and Damo, I might keep an eye out for one of them.

Thanks again.;)

Bart

;)

I'm only messing with you lads, I know how easily a thread can develop a mind of its own, once there's an interest between two or more. Don't worry.;)

Thanks John and Damo, I might keep an eye out for one of them.

Thanks again.:)

Bart

Hi Bart,

I'm really sorry about that, I am still quite new to this and get carried away, especially as I learn about new things! Like a child again...but at 30! ;)

All the best with your EP search! :)

Regards

Dan.

You gentlemen will bring the wrath of the cloud Gods over you. At least I hope they go away from above me! They appear to have settled over me for the last 2 months.

Damo, you have some nice EPs, you say the Aero would be an upgrade from the TS Erfle, which I have no doubt would be the case, but in what way? better contrast? a lack of seagulls? ? ? ?

Would you describe it as alright, not bad, or awful, relatively?

Thanks

Barry

I've owned a couple of Aero ED's. Their edge correction is better (not perfect) than, say, the Skywatcher Panaview. Their light transmission also seemed a little better to me and they are quite light eyepieces for 2inch'ers. Optically the Aero ED's are I believe the same as the well regarded but now out of production TMB Paragon range.

For further interest (I hope) this review covers a 40mm Paragon and 3 other eyepieces. I believe your erfle is similar to the Orion Q70 in this review, which is based on the erfle optical layout. The Q70 is also similar optically to the Skywatcher Panaview 38mm:

Astromart Reviews - Four 40mm Widefield Eyepieces Compared

You gentlemen will bring the wrath of the cloud Gods over you. At least I hope they go away from above me! They appear to have settled over me for the last 2 months.

Damo, you have some nice EPs, you say the Aero would be an upgrade from the TS Erfle, which I have no doubt would be the case, but in what way? better contrast? a lack of seagulls? ? ? ?

Would you describe it as alright, not bad, or awful, relatively?

Thanks

Barry

They are a very nice eyepiece Barry and amazingly light and comfortable to use. I remember at f6 in my 8" dob it was very sharp and the light throughput was excellent but the last 10-15% did have some gulls and this is what ultimately led to me selling it in favor of the 28mm UWAN. The UWAN was a major step up in performance (as well as size and weight) but then again they are more than twice the price of the Aero. Now, i am probably over fussy when it comes to pinpoint stars but i personally don't like gulls anywhere in the fov. I have no doubt though that the 30 or 35mm Aero would be a nice upgrade to your 32mm Erfle, but it will not be perfect at the edges at f5. The 30mm would show slightly better contrast with the slightly higher magnification. HTH

Archived