NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

And other Dobsonian questions

My scope skyliner 200p 8" dobsonian will be arriving soon. I already know what I might get in accessories here another Few things....

1. What objects will I be able to CLEARLY see with the standard 10mm and 25mm eyepieces?

2. I seen people placing computer Fans at the rear of the primary mirror, what are they trying to prevent? Is it dew?

3. Storage, I got a small house so I will probably have to store it in the kitchen or so (of course as much out of the way as possible). I know there is a dust cap on the scope but will it be enough or is it recommended to cover the scope with something else?

4. any other maintenance tips/tricks?

1. It will depends on your location and weather. If you live in the middle of the city, you will be able to see planets clearly, my be some open clusters but that's about it. If you live in a dark site, again it's planets and clusters. Nebula and galaxies are always fuzzy. Also clearly is subjective, what I think is nice may not appeal to you.

2. The fans are for blowing cool air on the mirror to reduce the time it takes for the scope to reach thermal equilibrium.

I have the 10" Skyliner and do not cover it when it is in the house, just remember to fully place the dust caps on it when not in use. To aid the cooling time you could keep it in the garage if it's safe enough to do so and you will decrease the cooling time without fans.

I bought a waterproof camping sheet and just cover it when it is outside cooling (in case it rains) I just hold the sheet in place with a few clothes pegs.

You shouldn't need to clean it, at the worse you might get caught out by rain or a nights worth a dew followed by bringing into a warmer house. In this case just dry the outside with a towel. Don't try to clean either of the mirrors unless you know exactly what you are doing, I have had mine for 2 years and not cleaned the mirrors once.

Learn how to collimate it proper and that's all you will need.

The eyepieces it comes with are ok, but you will want to change them with time. I bought the Explorer ED and it hasn't steered me wrong (I don't even use the 25mm supplied with the scope) but it does depend on your location, light pollution, weather as to what you will see.

I would expect you will get great views of Jupiter and Saturn, Mars will be smaller than you expect but you can tease detail out of it. Venus and Mercury's phase will show up and Urnaus and Neptune will be rounded star-like blobs. Some nebulas will look good, other as fuzzy blobs, star clusters will look amazing! Galaxies will be fuzzy objects. This is just going by what I get with mine.

Be warm and safe,

Neil

I have the 6" version, if you look southish from 6 oclockish Jupiter is very clear ( appears about 2mm across in a 10mm eyepiece, Orion nebula is a faint smudge, but recogniseable ... appaling spelling but i'll leave it in for comedy value !

if you stay up late ( 1 ish) Saturn is in the south, this is pretty small but definately cool

But mines only 6" feeling jelous now !

good luck

Hi. I've got a 114mm Skywatcher something or other?? I have seen the gas bands on Jupiter, and stayed up one night purely to look at Saturn. Got great views with the rings (albeit the size of a penny), but still sent a tingle down my spine. This from my back garden with a viewing area about 20metres across and with a 10mm and 25mm EP. Trees and houses in the way. I recently bought a large sports bag to keep everything in. 1-to store out of the way and 2-ready to pick up and go when taking a trip out.

Good luck anyway.

I guess kitchen will be out of the question lol thank you all. I do have a wooden shed, but I got not much faith in society these days and I dont want to risk the scope getting stolen. I think I will have to store it behind the TV in the living room for a while until I think of a perfect spot.

I do live in a red zone, frustrating, so I will have to travel for about 30 minutes to get somewhere with nice dark PL-free skies. I will just have to try to find all objects to judge which object I will have to observe without all the PL

Regarding to cooling down the mirror, I think I will just have to plan that I just go out with the scope early so the scope has cooled down properly and is ready for use.

knobby,

i guess telescopes are always open to be upgraded.....i have not got my 8" yet and I'm already thinking of a 12" after the 8, how sad is that????

Thought I was bad!!!!

I guess kitchen will be out of the question lol thank you all. I do have a wooden shed, but I got not much faith in society these days and I dont want to risk the scope getting stolen. I think I will have to store it behind the TV in the living room for a while until I think of a perfect spot.

I do live in a red zone, frustrating, so I will have to travel for about 30 minutes to get somewhere with nice dark PL-free skies. I will just have to try to find all objects to judge which object I will have to observe without all the PL

Regarding to cooling down the mirror, I think I will just have to plan that I just go out with the scope early so the scope has cooled down properly and is ready for use.

knobby,

i guess telescopes are always open to be upgraded.....i have not got my 8" yet and I'm already thinking of a 12" after the 8, how sad is that????

Once all my eBay auctions have finished (and hopefully all my junk is sold :p) I'll have the funds to order the SW 200p as well. I'll store it in the garage though so probably won't need the fans. Just planning to throw a sheet over it and store along with dehumidifier sachets. Keen to hear answers to your tips n' tricks question...

@Superdooperman - I have the SW114mm scope too at the mo - have you tried barlowing the 10mm? The supplied SW x2 Barlow is a bit pants but a TAL x2 barlow is affordable and works really well. Then if you go for a 6mm EP, say a TMB planetary, and Barlow that you should get some even better views of the planets in good seeing (at x167 mag.)

Once all my eBay auctions have finished (and hopefully all my junk is sold :p) I'll have the funds to order the SW 200p as well.

Thats exactly what I have been doing. Since December ive started to get interest in astronomy properly and started in january to sell stuff on ebay and since today sold everything and am £15 short -.- for the 8" skywatcher dob is £275. But got some one who can help me with the further 15. Meaning I have not got any possession left lol apart from a telescope. And then all these accessories I want to get as well! That is going to be a pain

Archived