NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bob's Knob's Experience

Hi, I recently upgraded my secondary mirror grub screws with Bob's Knobs as I had read so many good things about them and I thought they sounded great. Unfortunately, they put the secondary mirror way out and I couldn't get it back to the right position. The long and the short of it was I had to get a stargazing friend to help correct it again and collimate, which meant putting the original grub screws back etc. So this turned out to be a very bad experience.

What I want to ask, has anyone else had a bad experience using these? We think one of the Bob's Knobs screws could have had a faulty thread....

Funny you should mention it - I've also just gone back to the original grub screws on the secondary as well... They seem to give a much better / finer and more secure adjustment than the Bob's knobs. (However, the primary knobs are excellent...)

Hi Andy, I'm glad I'm not the only one, I have the newer 200P so primary mirror screws were OK. I have to admit, there's nothing wrong with the grub screws, they do seem to hold the secondary more securely. Thanks for your post, thanks also to Spaceboy.

I've put Bob's Knobs on the secondary cell of my Orion Optics 10" F/4.8. I've also put a large hard steel washer behind the secondary support hub as the old bolts had dug pits in the alloy surface. So far, so, good. Collimation is a little easier and is being held. I did wonder whether to either round off or file to a point the end of each "knob" where it bears on the washer / secondary hub but I've not done that as yet.

They are expensive for what they are though and I'm sure there are lower cost options that work just as well.

Ahh Sorry Robin never gave it a thought. John just reminded me, I also use a washer. If you have to remove the the grubs anyway I figured why not put a washer behind the secondary. The aluminium holder and stainless steel Bob knobs can be a recipe for disaster if slightly over zealous tightening during collimation. The washer is a worth while mod anyway even if using the standard grub screws. Dion on AS recommends a bottle washer also so that the secondary rotates easier.

Unsure of the exact length, I ordered over-length screws, with knurled heads, for my Newt secondary. I cut them to length, smoothed the ends etc. Not a lot can go wrong, frankly? Sources of "knurled things", things with "knobs on the end" (of requisite longer length) are not THAT common in the UK. My time versus a "few dollars more"? Lesser of evils, I reckoned. Quite fun to get a package (quickly) from the States too? ;)

Archived