Filter-HELP

I am a completely clueless when it comes to filters and I have a problem:

I live in York which is hell on earth when it comes to light pollution and I have decided to buy a filter to help me out I would like to enhance planets but MOSTLY nebula and DSO's. I have a 200mm dob and have on decided on two filters.

SkyWatcher OIII Filter 1.25"

SkyWatcher Light Pollution Filter 1.25"

I'm not sure which one to get.

Please tell me which one would be more suited for me? (I'm not bothered about the price)

Cheers,

Seth

The OIII filter will only help with a very limited number of items whereas the LP filter will be useful with a wider range of targets. So from the point of view of value for money the LP would seem to be the best bet.

If however your primary interest were planetary nebulae then the OIII would possibly look like a better choice as this seems to be it's strong suite.

Hi Seth, i've the same problem here in Nottingham with LP, don't help living just 1ish mile from city centre :p . All that aside from what i've been reading on SGL & on various other sites over the past few weeks, i'm actually going for the UHC filter its just making the choice of which manufacturer.

Heres what most sites give as a description for the UHC filters...

The UHC filter is the best all-around dark-sky nebula filter. The narrowband UHC filter, like the O-III filter, isolates the two doubly ionized oxygen lines (496 and 501nm) in addition to the hydrogen-beta line (486nm) emitted by planetary and most emission nebulae. This filter permits superb views of objects like the Orion, Lagoon, Swan and other extended nebulae. It performs well in smaller aperture instruments owing to its greater light transmission than the O-III, yet still suppresses light pollution well.

Hope this helps & clear skies to you...

Ady

Thanks everyone Just ordered UHC filter (Thankyou ady) and am going to borrow an lp filter off my friend.

Will give you an update on which I think is best when we get clear skies.

Cheers,

Seth

I have already mentioned to one of our other York members why not take a trip out to somewhere like Strensall Common on the outskirts of the City, if you have transport, the skies are much darker out there, the York AS club has on Obsy site with good skies also :p

John.

+ 1 for the Sky-watcher light pollution filter. Its cheaper than the UHC which darkens the sky quite a bit, but is good on nebulas. I recently bought the Baader neo filter which is great on planets too ie Jupiter and Mars, it again is more expensive than the SW filter, which looks to be pretty similar. I would go for the SW.

Archived