what box should i go for??

looking to get a box set 3 questions

1. are they value for money?[or just tat]

2.First Light Optics - Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit or First Light Optics - Celestron Eyeopener Eyepiece and Filter Kit or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celestron-telescope-eyepiece-2x-barlow-lens-Moon-filter-coloured-filter-set-/150731487403?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item23184bf8ab

3.i have a 25mm and 10mm and barlow for my second hand 200p dob[skywatcher] what extra do you suggest for general noobie star/planet gazing [dso's are gonna be improbable were i stay in glasgow]

thanks for any advice

dave

I very nearly bought the Revelation set as I preferred the mix of lower powers - kits often seem a bit heavy on high power eyepieces.

Generally, it's recommended that you invest in one or two quality eyepieces rather than a set, but the Revelation kit seems to be the best of the bunch in terms of quality and value for money.

I ended up buying individual eyepieces, I stuck with the Revelation brand though and I'm very happy with them.

For good advice on selecting suitable eyepieces, have a read of this post here on SGL:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/80772-eyepieces-very-least-you-need.html

hi the problem with a box set is you will be buying stuff you wont use , have you looked at the bst explorers from skies the limit , they are 41 quid

the 25mm you have will be ok or quite good , usually the 10mm is poor

speak to alan at skies the limit , they have a try before buy deal !!

2 or 3 good eps will give a good spread of mag 18,12,8 or similar

glasgow is not so bad , do you have transport ..... head for the campsies , or whitlees windfarm , i think the central observers group go there often

:p:icon_salut::)

thanks guys so basically throw my 10mm away and get a decent 12mm

and maybe an 18 mm

cycled rond the windfarm last year in summer [it's about 1/2 an hour away ]was thinking of glennifer braes /lugton area as that means glasgow is to the north so less lp

For a little more than the cost of an eyepiece set you can get a Hyperion Zoom which is equivalent to 5 eyepieces in 1. It's several steps up in quality than any of the basic eyepiece kits, is very clear and sharp, has a turn up eye cup, and you can attach a dslr to it for afocal imaging. I find it very versatile and is a workhorse eyepiece I allways use at some stage of a session - I know several folks who have this for their 200P dobs and they love it :p

For a little more than the cost of an eyepiece set you can get a Hyperion Zoom which is equivalent to 5 eyepieces in 1. It's several steps up in quality than any of the basic eyepiece kits, is very clear and sharp, has a turn up eye cup, and you can attach a dslr to it for afocal imaging. I find it very versatile and is a workhorse eyepiece I allways use at some stage of a session - I know several folks who have this for their 200P dobs and they love it :p

I completely agree, I own one of these to... Very good quality on any type of scope !

I've got the Celestron kit which came with my C6N as part of the package. The previous owner had supplemented the set with a few Meade and T.V. bits. The only piece from the kit that gets any use is the 32mm. Not that the kit ep's are bad, just surplus to requirement. Without the kit I have a 4.7 UAW, an 8, a 20 and a 40. Add a 2x Barlow and that's me sorted. The most surprising piece is the naff looking 20mm that comes with the OTA. Performs very well for a 'freebie'. The coloured filters are, to me at least, far to heavily tinted. I don't use them.

My advice would be to forget the box, buy a few individual pieces. Add a Barlow to increase the apparent size of your collection. Or get a zoom as Brantuk suggests.:p

Totaly agree, one of the best buys I have made and you wouldn't believe the difference when you don't have to phaff about changing ep's. There are a lot of advantages including the zoom when star aligning. As for the E-Bay one, I'd spend a bit more and buy a new one....just for the piece of mind

quick update .

guy i bought scope from emailed me to say he had found another eyepiece in his cupboard [a skywatcher 7-21 zoom] and he is posting it out to me [i dont think it'll be up to much but for nowt you can't complain lol] so will give it a try if the sky ever clears again and if it's pants will bang it on fleabay for £20 :p[total spend so far £80 this includes skywatcher 200p dob and the usual eyepieces/barlow and now a freebie again ]

The SW Zoom is a great punt at £50'ish new - so for free you're deffo laughing. Obviously it's not gonna be anywhere near the quality of the Badder zoom but it'll give you good info what to look for in eyepieces generally. Just fyi it came last in a "zoom shoot out" in SaN about 15mths ago - the Baader came second to the TV zoom iirc :p

Archived