Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another first sight thread (Mars and Saturn)

Dunkster

First night out for me for a while due to work commitments and being overly picky about cloud, cold and snow, etc (I know I know!)...

I'd been out in the relative wilderness with the eyes and bins (old 10x50 zeiss) earlier in the evening and got me some lovely views of the Orion nebula (bins) and seemingly a dozen or so stars in the lower half of Orions body with the naked eye (fenced in by Rigel, Saiph and the belt) couldn't believe my eyes. Then followed the heavily peppered space through Auriga - which from home I struggle see 4 stars + Capella. And over to the Pleiades, where even with my eyes I could clearly make out 7 stars :roll eyes: The Pleiades are one of my favourites and bins are where it's at.

On return home, I setup the 6SE for some planet "hunting". I use the quotes since really the scope does the hunting all by itself :( but time is precious and all that.

First view for me through a telescope of Mars. Switching the 25mm (used for alignment) for my 15mm BST and already I could see a nice pale disc with darkened spots on. Dialling it up a bit, I got first proper light with my Explore Scientific 82 degree 8.8mm. I have no prior experience of such wide field EP, and the LP is so bad that I'll reserve proper judgement of its capabilities across the view until I hit darker skies. However, Mars was resplendent. Very crisp disc shape, more distinctly coloured and after some time I could make out some of the finer details... the north polar region area in light/white, and darker regions Syrtis Major (being very obvious), Sinus Meridiani and on the edge Mare Acidalium (both more subtle). Try as I did, I couldn't make out either of the moons.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting all that much from the 6SE with Mars being so small, but I really enjoyed what I saw and Mars has suddenly become a whole lot more interesting :D

Time was passing, and Saturn was creeping its way up the sky. Once again, my expectations weren't high as it was only a little past midnight and the air was getting noticeably mistier and more volatile (I had noticed occasional disturbances viewing Mars). First sight of the wonder that is Saturn... I'd been wanting a view since I got my scope late last summer, but the placement wasn't right and there was plenty to see with Jupiter.

Having read a number of Saturn-related threads, my expectations were pretty high, but as the rings and planet swung into my FOV I gasped :) What a sight! I could see the (north?) equatorial band, distinctly darker than the rest of the beige planet. From memory, more easily seen than the bands on Jupiter, possibly as Saturn is more dim than the overpowering Jupiter? What has taken me back more are the rings... just there, wrapped around it! A pinprick of light nearby I suspected to be Titan (confirmed in SkySafari), but I couldn't knowingly pick out any of the other moons.

Looking at the rings for some time, there seemed to be moments of clarity where I could see a darker ring about 2/3 of the way out. The conditions seemed to be deteriorating so I finished for the night, and look forward to my next chance at viewing the system again, hopefully under better skies being able to confirm sight of the Cassini division... not sure if this is a little too optimistic from a C6 in the suburbs though.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my excitement :)

I share your enjoyment! Had my first Saturn moment last night:). Don't think I'll ever forget it! Seems your viewing was better, at least for Mars than mine was. Struggled to make much detail on the Red planet, and that I could see was almost overwhelmed by the glare of its reflected light. Did you use any filters?

No filter - it was bright at first while my eyes adjusted. I was really surprised with what I could see, I really didn't have high hopes but was pleasantly surprised with some good periods of seeing interspersed with some poor ones.

Just to add, I found it much easier seeing detail on Mars than I have Jupiter so far, and what little I could see on Saturn was almost immediate, but it didn't last and turbulence up there got the better.

Hi Dunkster,

How you doing???? I was out last night and saw Mars (for the first time) and also Saturn. Saw Saturn for the first time last year when I borrowed a friends 40 year old reflector. The seeing was steady last night, but quite dewey. Still a good night though.

Woke up coughing and sneezing a short while ago, I'm full of man flu. Um'd and ah'd about getting 'Stella' out or not...but I did and gave her a moment to cool down but grew impatient.

And I popped my Saturn cherry. She's beautiful, well worth being home sick for ;)

Thanks mike, thought it was a bit of a long shot.

Really looking forward to opposition this April, so could use a few less of those April showers! Titan was an easy one the other night, but I hope to get out somewhere darker and see if I can catch some of the other moons.

Archived