NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best cheap DSLR for AP

Mr Noble

The 1100D has a built-in amp off circuit and doesn't show any amp glow. The Digic 4 processor gives 14 bits data so has 4 times the number of levels of earlier processors. The noise level is only superseded by the 600D amongst the EOS range.

I have just got APT working properly and currently running a darks imaging session. Now taking 20 minute subs at ISO 1600. Sensor temperature is 28C.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of lockup with an 1100D - I have never noticed any issue even when taking 15 second subs or really short exposures of the moon. The only time lockup was an issue was in daylight photography where I was using the ST80 as a telephoto, mounted by one camera screw onto an AZ3. Even then the wobbles were effectively suppressed by cramming the camera strap inbetween the tube and the mount. So I really think lockup is a non-issue.

T=30C now. Warming up nicely! I aim to get a set of darks at various temperatures to see how the noise varies with temperature and how much improvement I could expect from cooling the camera. I'm expecting to see some noise with 20 min exposures at ISO 1600 but I might need to go higher to see any noise. I know there's noise with ISO 6400 and 30 sec exposures.

Canon wins my vote every time after having owned various models for years.

But...........

Sony do some cracking kit. I've got one of their compacts and the CMOS sensor is excellent. Can shoot in the dark with no flash up to good knows how many frames then stacks them internally.

The CCD chip is very sensitive do have a look at the specs on their DSLR's too.

Much appreciated thanks. On another posting I have been advised that my C9.25 at a f10 would need an auto guider so I may have to look at this first and come back to a DSLR later when funds permit. However will an unguided DSLR be suitable for planetary imaging

For deep sky you definitely will need a guiding. Your focal length is pretty long...

The DSLR models with LiveView can provide quite good quality comparable with web-cams as pixel size and frame-rate. The newer with HD Video looks very promising with small pixel and frame-rates up to 60fps. I don't have experience in this area so can't judge if they are good choice.

For deep sky you definitely will need a guiding. Your focal length is pretty long...

The DSLR models with LiveView can provide quite good quality comparable with web-cams as pixel size and frame-rate. The newer with HD Video looks very promising with small pixel and frame-rates up to 60fps. I don't have experience in this area so can't judge if they are good choice.

I shall be trying that once we get some clear night skies. The 1100D has HD video.

I'm now running 20 min darks at ISO 1600. Can't see any noise with 10m subs without stretching the histogram. T=33C.

Latest... 20m dark sub at ISO 1600 just completed at T=34C. Viewed in Canon DPP to display the RAW CR2 image and the noise is just starting to show.

Must say, this camera is looking pretty good for DSO AP. Just need to get guiding going now and I should be able to get some half decent subs when the weather permits.

Sounds very good :)

Wish you clear skies very soon! I hope tomorrow to have some luck and to give first light of my 550D :) We had terrible winter here... No clear skies and a lot of snow that was not allowing to travel to dark sites... A lot means between 1m and 2m most of the time in the area that I usually go to image :)

Archived