Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn at last...

Marki

I finally got Saturn:hello2:! Wow, just wow! I know everyone says it, but wow! So beautiful! I got a hint of the Cassini division, and a slight darkening/thinning of the outer ring to its edge. Definite different creamy bands in the northern half of the planet. I could see Titan, but no other moons leapt out at me - possible suggestion of Rhea but not convinced.

I had to call Mrs Marki out to share the view - she was just as stunned, and hogged the ep for a good 10 mins :D.

Definately worth cooling down the 8SE for an hour for that. Started with BST explorer 15mm, then went to a 9mm TMP II Planetary in giving me a nice 225x mag. Despite the LP, the seeing was not too bad in my limited experience.

Moved back to Mars, with the 9mm in. Could make out the disc much more clearly. Probably should have put a filter in (any suggestions which might be best?), but in the glare, I could just make out a brighter area at the pole, and a darker area on the right hand side of the disc.

I was going to check out the region of NGC 2244 and 2264, which I'd looked at earlier in the evening with my TAL (the merest hint of a smear of nebulosity in 2244 only), but unfortunately left it too late, and they were beyond some trees on a hill to my west :(.

Clouds were just beginning to come in, so thought I'd quit while I was still Saturn happy! So, I finished the night on a real high - still buzzing!

Can't wait to explore the heavens again tomorrow... .

Saturn really brings out the "wow factor" when seen for the first time. I have yet to see it this year since it is low to the horizon when I head to bed. I guess I'll have to wait till later to see it.

Congratulations on your first viewing of our ringed planet!

Isabelle

congrats, Saturn is still one that alludes me. Where i live (well from my back garden at least) by the time it's risen above the horizon, its behind some large trees, and then remains unseen until very late into the small hours of the morning...i'm going to have to find me a dark site very soon!!

• 2 weeks later...

will the clarity of Saturn improve as it reaches higher into the sky?

Got a great view of it a couple of nights ago, rings included with a hint of cassini division. However it was relatively low in the sky and therefore wondered (greedily) if the view will get better over time?

will the clarity of Saturn improve as it reaches higher into the sky?

Got a great view of it a couple of nights ago, rings included with a hint of cassini division. However it was relatively low in the sky and therefore wondered (greedily) if the view will get better over time?

Yes - in about 10 years when it moves into pisces !

Archived