Dob owners - Telrad position?

Received my new 200P Skywatcher yesterday, assembled it today and possible clear skys for tonight....Can it get any better?? :D

I've got a Telrad and I'm just trying to decide where to put it. Obviously it going to sit at the top next to the existing finder but before I stick it on, is it worth considering a riser block or are others just using it as is?

Couldn't resist a pic of new dob and dog aswell. :(:

I generally have mine at the very tope of the tube and in the best position for use when seated if possible. I think it should fit between the focuser and the optical finder? personally I have changed to right angle finders as they create less neck ach and work a treat with a telrad. use some tape or string etc to put in place temporarily for the first few uses until you find the best position for you.

my dog likes to be out with me when observing too. OK as long as you tread carefully.........

I temporarily attached mine with a bunch of tie wraps first. This allowed me to exeriment using the Telrad in a variety of positions before atatching it with the tape.

My 250 is mounted on a EQ6 and I eventualy decided to mount the Telrad on the opposite side of the tube to the finder, but I guess everyone will have their own favoured position.

Hope that helps

I've been having similar thoughts for my new 200P. I happened across a photo last night of someone who had seemingly mounted the telrad to the top of the finder with cable ties. If it's secure, that struck me as a good location.

I just ordered a "riser" for my telrad cos it won't sit correctly in the middle of the top section of my truss dob and I don't want to mount it on the right - it's going in the middle. The risers come in two sizes 2" and 4" (from FLO) it might help :D

I've been having similar thoughts for my new 200P. I happened across a photo last night of someone who had seemingly mounted the telrad to the top of the finder with cable ties. If it's secure, that struck me as a good location.

Seems good to me. The only problem is the Telrad base stops the lens cap for the finder going on, should be an easy work around though.

I'II give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes.

Archived