Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon DSLR Control

SteveT

Hi guys,

quick one if someone can point me in the right direction, newbie here...... can someone point me to a schematic of the cable I need to make up (assuming I make my own and dont buy one) to control a Canon 350D from a laptop (serial) for use with one of the DSLR control applications.

Also, which application is favourite please ?

Thanks

Hi guys,

quick one if someone can point me in the right direction, newbie here...... can someone point me to a schematic of the cable I need to make up (assuming I make my own and dont buy one) to control a Canon 350D from a laptop (serial) for use with one of the DSLR control applications.

Thanks

My favourite application for this is APT. (Astro Photography Tool) You only need the USB lead that came with the camera.

There is a free trial program you can download, but the full featured version only costs in the region of £11 - exceedingly good value.

Dave

Try dialling up Paul Beskeen online and go for Projects/DSLR Control. Excellent article on how to make a serial dongle opto isolated or not - former preferred. The 350D will need a serial-Usb convertor in line with the dongle- try "USBNOW". I made the opto isolated version plus the convertor and it worked first time on my 350D.

I use Astrojan for 350D control its freeware and really quite nice.

Hi guys,

Thanks

I made this one for my 400D (although you need to check the pin outs with the chip you use)

SerialCableOpto.jpg

The swing from RTS being low to high is around 12v, so if you plan to use a USB converter the choice of device might be critical. Mine works well with a belkin rs232 > UBS converter and APT.

I'm experimenting with an FTDI 232R5v cable with the RTS line connected direct to the optop isolator.

Due to the processor used ins some of the models (350D, 400D etc) USB will only go as far as 30 second exposure. If you want longer you have to use the cable release port (2.5mm stereo mini jack socket). Later models do everything through USB

Archived