Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A for Auriga

Cloudwatcher

Well, thats the 'A' section of the image library sorted, more binned than saved but at leased I've got more space now.

One of the retained images was of the region around Capella in Auriga which at the time,Nov'05 as I recall,I was hugely proud of. I had purchased an Acuter Imager and had had good results with shots of the Moon so I thought I'd try 'going deeper' even though it's not designed for DSO work. Despite the fact that the image is not of high quality, blobby stars and all. For an image from a £60 camera on a ST102 I still have no complaints. :wink:

CW

Superb colours CW! :cool: You didn't cheat, did ya? 8)

I'm sure a purist would consider the use of such things as Registax,Photoshop ect. is cheating but if the colours are there let them show even if you do end up with the odd green star.You don't see many of those at the eye piece I must admit. :wink:

CW

Did you know that Capella is the fastest rotating star known? Astronomers measuring the doppler shift of the star suggest if it rotated only 1% faster, it'd fly apart. This angular rotation distorts the star so much it is wider than it is tall by nearly 50%. Our Sun rotates at an average of once every 29.5 days, while Capella, which is 9.2x larger, rotates in only 8.6 days!

A very interesting star system.

I really wouldn't have done such a thing. Honest! Your's was the only light in an otherwise dull campaign .

Anyway, I've only got a paintball gun so unless you were 'painted out of the picture' it wasn't me!

Glad to see you are in full flow after your Chilling experience!

CW

( There are Barkist spies everywhere so this message will self distruct in ten seconds...10...9...8....7....

Archived