Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First accessories/ eyepiece advice

Hi all.

I'm wanting to get some new eyepieces for my 200P. Been reading threads on here and looking at different sites and I've think I've narrowed it down to 4 options. The ones I'm looking at are William Optics SPL and Celectron X-Cel LX from FLO and the BST Eplorers and TMB Planetary II from Sky's The Limit. Would these all be suitable in the 200P?

The first thing I was wondering about is if there is much difference in using a barlow or a proper shorter eyepiece? I'm wanting to view at a bit higher magnification than the supplied 10mm and 25mm eyepieces can give. Am I correct in thinking that the biggest practical magnification is about 200x? So wanting to know if you would recommend getting 6mm eyepiece or would a 12mm with a 2x barlow give comparatively reasonable views?

I have a few more questions but I won't overload it all at once. Thanks in advance.

Single ep's are usually better cos there's less glass in the way than using a barlow. The only time I found this to be untrue is with a Powermate - they just magnify then disappear lol.

Around 200x is a practical limit in UK seeing - you can achieve higher but ocassions arre few and far between. The 200P is f5 if I recall correctly - so if you do go for a 6mm the better quality you can get the better. Fast scopes are less forgiving of low quality glass. :D

i like the bst explorers , espically for the money , im sure the other ep`s you mentioned are just as good , skies the limit do a kind of "try then buy " deal ..they send you out a few ep`s for a week or two to try ... and if you like `em ........ :D

another option is a badder hyperion zoom ..........

Archived