NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GSO 880 10" Dobsonian Unboxing

Luke

Last year we sold a fantastic 12" Skywatcher Skyliner solid tube dobsonian. We missed it so much for the hassle free viewing it gave, that we had to admit our mistake and replace it!

We decided to go for a GSO 10" 880 dob from Teleskop Service. We fancied something a touch easier to move than the old 12", and we also liked that the GSO deluxe had a dual speed focuser. Sarah and I always have to change the focus when swapping places, so a dual speed is a must for us. And for once, we fancied not having to mess about replacing the stock focuser!

The big box containing the tube arrived looking a bit battered. In the bottom pic you can see how the strap had gone through the box. :(

The tube seems okay on first glance though. Phew!

Bits 'n' bobs in the tube's box included a 9mm and 30mm eyepiece. The 30mm ERFLE is 2" and looks a decent eyepiece, looking forward to giving it a test. Also I was impressed to see a 2" extension tube included.

The big 10" tube itself has a cool feature where you can move its position up or down the dob base to help with balance when putting on heavy eyepieces etc.

When opening the dob base box and pulling the stuff out, we noticed one thing missing: instructions! :D

A quick web search and it seems this is not that rare, there's a chance you won't have instructions. It's probably not that difficult to work it out but not wanting to mess it up, I found instructions for the Zhumell US version of this dob. Link here in case it helps anyone else with missing instructions:

http://www.zhumell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Z10-Dobsonian-Telescope-Manual-Web.pdf

The instructions are a bit iffy in places, not the clearest, but Zhumell have done a video too :):

Z10 Dobsonian Telescope | Zhumell

On the slightly disappointing side, the knobs that go either side of the tube to hold it on the rocker look all metal on the TS website but the ones we received have black plastic end caps on them. They seem solid enough, I just thought those knobs shown on the site looked nice! That said there was not a whole lot of metal knobs going on with the old Skywatcher dob.

Then onto perhaps the most important thing that swayed us towards the GSO: the focuser.

It's a solid-feeling, 2" dual speed crayford that can apparently take up to 3kg. It feels smooth and decent to me, very happy, it should be more than enough for our visual needs. Not quite as nice as a Baader steeltrack, but more than good enough and the price of the scope makes it feel a bargain.

We also liked that the focuser includes 2" and 1.25" compression rings. :p

Once the base was together and the tube on it, I was very impressed with the smooth movement plus the two tensioners to quickly adjust the amount of friction in alt and az.

The primary mirror is BK7, I'm no expert on these things but I believe BK7 undergoes more thermal expansion than Pyrex and may possibly take longer to cool down - any experts out there? But the GSO does include a fan to help speed the cool down and a power pack that takes 8 AA batteries. The fan is surprisingly quiet.

We've ordered Bob's knobs to replace the screws on the secondary mirror, I absolutely hate adjusting collimation using a screwdriver, so can't wait to get these.

The primary mirror knobs that you can see below on the tube base look fine to me, not sure we will replace these, especially if as hoped the dob does not need to be collimated too frequently.

Looking forward so much to a proper first light. We did amazingly get a five minute peek the same night during a brief gap in the clouds, at Mars and Saturn, but it hadn't had much time to cool down and it had not been collimated, so it was not the greatest ever view.

Checking collimation afterwards confirmed it was out by a fair bit. All in all, very chuffed, pending the first proper light. The focuser seems as good as hoped.

Solid tube dobs, I love you so much and you may well be a cure for severe aperture fever for some - the greatest aperture for the least hassle that I know!

post-15522-133877735848_thumb.jpg

post-15522-133877735851_thumb.jpg

post-15522-133877735856_thumb.jpg

post-15522-133877735859_thumb.jpg

post-15522-13387773586_thumb.jpg

post-15522-133877735863_thumb.jpg

post-15522-133877735868_thumb.jpg

post-15522-133877735873_thumb.jpg

post-15522-133877735877_thumb.jpg

post-15522-133877735882_thumb.jpg

Congrats Luke,

I bought one of these a while ago. Love it. The azimuth movement is very nice. I found it holds collimation very well, of course, I am a very gentle fellow, but I do move it around the garden/paths/patio on slightly deflated sack truck tyres. I think they're great value for money...but I would say that.

Yes, focusser very nice too.

Regards

Bart

Thanks, Bart, snap!

That's good to hear about the collimation, I am very fond of the dobs and hold them very carefully, so hopefully the collimation will hold!

I should add that I would not want to put anyone off the weight of the Skywatcher 12", I was fine with it. With the 10", we want fairly lazy viewing, so though I could handle the 12 fine, the 10 is a breeze and easier too for Sarah if she wants to pop it out.

Though we only got 5 mins in last night, that sums up the dob for me: so little to do that it is worth popping it out on the chancey nights. We got more observing done when we had the solid tube before :D

• 1 year later...

A little update, now that I have used the dob a lot. I give it a big score for the mechanics. It's so nice that it can hold a heavy eyepiece and it still rotates super smoothly. The slight minus is that I don't think the optics are quite as good as with the Skywatcher dobs I have had, though I think the Skywatcher optics are better than you could expect for the price!

I am very happy with it, very good value, especially if the dual speed focuser appeals to you :)

I have the GSO 300mm and am more than happy with it. Careful with the Crayford focuser, I pulled a bit too hard on mine and it separated from the base plate. The tiny allen screws merely grip the barrel so I'm going to put a couple of indents in mine so the screws will lock the barrel and prevent it from rotating.  I also put a dab of bicycle lithium grease on the cage bearing in the base and now rotation is nice and smooth. Enjoy.

A little update, now that I have used the dob a lot. I give it a big score for the mechanics. It's so nice that it can hold a heavy eyepiece and it still rotates super smoothly. The slight minus is that I don't think the optics are quite as good as with the Skywatcher dobs I have had, though I think the Skywatcher optics are better than you could expect for the price!

I am very happy with it, very good value, especially if the dual speed focuser appeals to you :)

Good to hear Luke

I now have a 16" as well but I find sometimes I just take the 10" out as its a dawdle to get going. Dead easy. The alt/az motion is just lovely and can't imagine anything easier to use. I can make very small, jerkless movements at high mag. Love that scope.

Barry

Archived