Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Five months into this hobby and...

...I just found out today that eyepieces can unscrew into two or more parts!

All my (cheap) eyepieces do that. The metal barrel detaches from the plastic optics holder. It means I can stick my ToUcam onto the barrel (with sticky tape) and I can fit a threaded filter to the barrel as well!

I can't believe that nobody mentioned that all this time!

...I just found out today that eyepieces can unscrew into two or more parts!

All my (cheap) eyepieces do that. The metal barrel detaches from the plastic optics holder. It means I can stick my ToUcam onto the barrel (with sticky tape) and I can fit a threaded filter to the barrel as well!

I can't believe that nobody mentioned that all this time!

We wanted you to buy an adapter. We have shares in adapter factories. :wink:

The ideal way is to use a webcam adapter, which is not very expensive, because it is important to keep the chip square to the 'scope axis. If you don't align it correctly the chip could be in focus on one edge and not the other.

BTW an old 35mm film canister is even more bodgy, but it works.

Kaptain Klevtsov

I used a film canister for a while, then bought the adapter.

The adapter is much better and gives you a sense of "my camera isn't going to fall off and hit the deck".

Sticky tape and Dew are not the best bed partners...

Ant

Thanks guys! The thing is I am itching to try a filter and I was overjoyed to discover I could without ordering any more hardware. I promise I will secure the camera with a piece of string so if it comes off the barrel it won't be taken by gravity.

Archived