Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using Focal Reducer with ED80

MikeP

Since my recent purchases seem to have angered the cloud gods, I have not been able to play with them properly. However, during a break in the rain, I took my ED80 outside and pointed it at a tree top about 100 yards away and was able to obtain focus with a 14mm and a 20mm lens both with and without the diagonal. When I inserted my new Celestron 6.3 focal reducer into the light path, I could not focus at all.

The FR was added by screwing a 2" to SCT adapter onto its front, screwing a Celestron visual back to its rear, inserting the adapter into the ED80 focuser tube and then adding a lens or the diagonal plus lens to the visual back.

The plan is to use the ED80 for imaging, with or without the FR depending on the target. Will it be possible for me to use the FR with the ED80, if so how?

I searched through the forum and found various posts on this, but none of them seemed to answer my question. I'd appreciate some help on this if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Although I have not tried using a focal reducer with an ED80, when using them with SCT's I have found that the distance between the FR and the eyepiece is critical. When I tried using a FR with my C8 when I had a 2 inch visual back and diagonal fitted it the scope would not come to focus at all.

I think the trick with the ED80 will be to get the FR in just the right position. Hopefully Rog will be able to help.

John.

I used the Celestron f6.3 reducer with my ED80, ED100 and Antares Sentinel.

Couldn't use a diagonal though. The camera had to be attached directly to the reducer. I used the antares 2" camera adapter. It split in two to reveal male and female SCT threads. The reducer went in between to make a 2" eyepiece that screwed into the camera. And then the whole popped into the 2" focuser barrel. Absolutely no focusing issues on night sky targets but never tried in the daytime.

Regards

Russ

Archived