Help picking the right camera pls

Can you please help me what way to go regarding the camera? I have read so many articles, that say go single shoot colour, go mono and use colour filters , I really do not know to turn left or right, so I am asking for some advice and help on this,

Cheers Firefox

At the moment I have the Celestron nex imager and a Nikon D2X, even though the D2X is a really great camera, for daytime work, it does not have live view and I find it very had to gain sharp focus, at night, my budget for the new camera,( dedicated ccd ) including any add-ons that i may need to buy is £2300.00, my scope is the Celestron cpc 9.25, and I have just obtained, the sky watcher, Eq 80, all filters and lens are 50.8mm/ 2 inch

Single shot colour, on the face of it, sounds to be easier and quicker - however it isn't as simple as that. To process your images to their best potential you will have to split the channels into RGB anyway (and sometimes create a false luminence) and you will have to take more subs so it will take just as long. It is, however, cheaper - as you don't need a filterwheel and filters.

The really big advantage to mono is with the addition of narrow band filters.

With the amount of money you are thinking about spending, I would consider the following.

Starlight Xpress SXVR-H694 (expected to be around £1900)

Starlight Xpress filterwheel (£295)

Baader 1.25" LRGB filters (£198)

You may find that someone will sell them as a package for around £2300, like Ian King does with the H18.

You can add 1.25" Baader Ha, OII, SIII filters later on (£245).

The Sony ICX694 based camera has just been launched - it should filter through to the shops in the next couple of weeks. I'm waiting to order one myself, it should be pretty fantastic, like the H9 but with a bigger field of view and better resolution for use with an ED80.

Archived