Best for my money

Hey guys, since im self employed money can sometimes get tight and beyond my control my budget has gone down some what.....lol

Ive been looking @ the Omni XLT 120 for the money, is this worth it? I was looking for something that i can have a go at AP with and upgrade somewhat in the future.

Any thoughts/input? :icon_scratch:

Many thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Eddy,

I would not recommend this scope for AP. At f8.3, it is far too slow for DSO photography though might be decent for planetary and lunar photography with a webcam.

If you want something you can upgrade in the future with AP in mind, you will want to get the best possible mount you can afford within your budget as a priority. Most recommend an HEQ5 as a base, but I bought a second-hand Vixen GP, which is a well engineered mount and a bargain second-hand. (though not as heavy duty as an HEQ5).

Ok no problem thanks for your feedback, its just to get me going more than anything else as i plan to upgrade toward summer, but since i have a few hundred £'s in my pocket and want a scope/mount i was hoping it would be ok for a bit of webcam imaging and digiscoping? :icon_scratch:

I also saw these images

Giove_12_Nov_2011Omni2_elab_ter_border_corr_BN_3.png

M81_M82_800.jpg

M51_Whirlpool_Galaxy_800_2.jpg

Which were all taken with this scope, now i guess these were using good mounts/cameras and focal reducers, would this be a good assumption? I know the mount IS IMPORTANT and was hoping that the XLT120 on a HEQ5 would be good enough (guided), that was my idea anyway! :)

Thanks again for your response

The first one is possible if shot using filters and a lot of post processing. Else you will get a bright purple halo around Jupiter.

You won't get the last two on an EQ3-2 or EQ5, or Celestron's version of those two mounts. That's said they are really nice for a 120 achromat.

The 120 achromat is not designed for imaging, so no focal reducer / flattener was ever designed to be use with it. You can try some of the APO reducers, but it could be an expensive trial and error.

I'd recommend the 150p Newt instead of the 120 achromat if you want to try a bit of imaging.

Eddy I think if you must go down he refractor route for AP then you will have to consider one of the ED range, the basic ED80 on an EQ5 setup has been used to great success with many amateurs, the whole range through to the ED120 can be fitted with the Customised SW focal reducer/flattener, but you are going to need very deep pockets. I would not let collimation put you off, you will get plenty of help from the forum to guide you through it and will open up a less expensive route for your photography :)

John.

See, this scope is for 2 reasons (im a little spoilt)

a) to get me going again with some digiscoping/webcam imaging

:) a fill in whilst i wait to get some better stuff

I dont think ill use this scope for long if im honest, but im too impatient to wait 2/3 months to get better stuff.......

Spoilt? Probably....lol but i work hard for my money so i guess thats just how it is!

The only reason i wanted to go the refractor route was because collimating puts me off somewhat..... :( i guess you hear this all the time hey? lol

Hi Eddy. Trust me on this, if you can tie your shoe laces you can collimate a newt . It really is that simple and almost as fast :)

LOL i have velcro shoes......just kidding.

I dont know, its just more work to do i guess, im not trying to get out of having a newt as i know they're good, i just wouldnt** like messing with it (that make sense?) Ill travelling to my dark site on a regular basis and i know refractors are a lot more robust than newts.

PS > Thanks for all the replies! :)

What about a Starwave 80ED on a decent photography tripod? The OTA is more suited for AP than the 120 achromat, and it's light enough that a good photographic tripod should handle it.

It won't be as good for visual observation of DSO because the aperture is much smaller, but it should get you started. It will be less demanding on the mount when you upgrade for AP.

Yeah the Starwave was my 1st choice, but no where has it in stock and with that i wouldnt get a mount, EP's Diagonal etc etc

I basically wanted something i could start with, do a bit of *****y photography with LOL and have some fun until i save up enough to get some good AP equipment.

I was going to get the Omni XLT120 + digiscoping bracket in the hope that i could take some god awful images of jupiter and clusters to keep me busy for the 2/3 months that its going to save up a couple of £ so i get an ED scope + a good mount + camera, but im an impatient little soul and want things now, hence the spoilt comment above.

Now, will this scope allow me to take photos of 'Stuff' that i can sit back at, and relish in my own glory and be proud of it? :) lol

You really need to get away from the idea of using an achromat for imaging, as every photo you take will suffer colour problems (look at the massive blue halos in a couple of your examples). Buying the XLT 120 would be a false economy if your eventual goal is AP.

As previously stated, your best bet by a million miles is an ED80. It will take a good barlowing too, so if you want to do a bit of planetary imaging its perfectly possible.

Its possible to pick up a used Skywatcher ED80 for for £250 - and for that you get a light grab & go scope with a good focuser, FPL53 glass, and if you stick on the dedicated FF/FR you get something approaching astrograph quality. Its not the fastest scope in the world, but its very reliable and If looked after - in 10 years time it will be just as good as the day you brought it.

My first scope was an WO ZenithStar 80II and how much do i regret selling it? Loads, well my budget is £400 right now so getting an ED80 + mount + other bits is out of the question.

As previously stated i want something i can use, within the next few days (im just that impatient) and buying twice is no big deal.

I know Achros are pretty shoddy for imaging, but to get me going, i think it will do, if not, ill just bank the £400 and cry like baby, sulk and throw my dummy out the pram until i can afford better equipment which will be a few months yet, and i really dont want to wait that long to take an image or 2 using my fujipix digicam and a webcam and like it. I want to get out and do something with the Mrs.

Hi Eddy,

As advised, the XLT 120 will be fine for observing only. If you do want something with which you can try AP and is upgradable in the future as you, as you stated, then you really need to be looking elsewhere.

Perhaps an ST102T on an EQ5 deluxe would be a good option, this comes in at £392. When you are ready you can keep the mount, upgrade it with motors and an OTA better suited for AP.

Well ive just brought myself the ZenithStar 80II since it was a good price and ive had one before :) and should be better for AP that the 120, it also comes with a nice case, diagonal and some EP's to get me going!

Next thing, i need a mount....lol

Archived