NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another night sky time lapse test

Good time lapse- worth repeating without the moon. I think that would make more difference than an LP filter as these are only really suited to deep sky objects and long exposures. Alternativley drive out to a dark sky site (should be okay in Shropshire countyside?).

Alternativley drive out to a dark sky site (should be okay in Shropshire countyside?).

Yes I would like too, and might have recently tried but we've had nothing but full cloud cover for the past 2 weeks.

Although I'm not the most confident person in the world so being out in the middle of no where in the middle of the night on my own is a bit daunting :icon_scratch:

• 2 weeks later...

Great time lapse. Can I ask what the exposure details were and the number of shots you took? Did you use the same exposure for the twilight shots as you did for the night shots. I was thinking of doing some of these and have wondered about the day/ night exposure problem.:D

Great time lapse. Can I ask what the exposure details were and the number of shots you took? Did you use the same exposure for the twilight shots as you did for the night shots. I was thinking of doing some of these and have wondered about the day/ night exposure problem.:D

I've already deleted all the images I did for it so don't have the details anymore.

But I think they were around 15 second exposure and probably ISO 400 & F3.5 for the night time images.

I was manually altering the exposure time during the daylight to night time phase which is why it was flickering slightly. I could have used an auto F setting I guess to make it hassle free and smoother, but it was only my second attempt at astro time lapse so still learning under those conditions.

Can't remember how many images I took, a couple of hundred I think.

Nice time lapse, Did you use an intervalometer remote release?

Hi Ben

No I used the main PC in the house and used the basic EOS utility program, I have a long USB lead out into the garden.

Cathy

Nice ;) what did you use to compile the shots into video?

I first saved all the RAW images as high quality jpg's (minimal compression), then used VirtualDub to create an AVI file (huffyuv codec), then used HandBrake to convert the avi to mp4 for upload to youtube.

The video quality had to be reduced a lot to keep the file size down for uploading. The original images are much better quality.

Archived