Solar white light full disc - 13th Feb

Gina

Well done.

Now to be picky: The image is a bit overexposed which is why you can't see surface detail and the spots are beginning to get swamped in the glare.

Try setting up using ISO 100 and something like 1/320sec so you can see the Sun's image on the laptop (don't try to use the camera screen as you are fighting the glare of the Sun and can't see a thing!) Focus and align etc then turn the exposure down to at least 1/1000 sec - you should barely be able to see the image on the lappy. Take a shot (JPEG) and open it to see what you have - you should be able to see surface granulation quite easily (put it at 100%). If not then drop the exposure and try again. I've put a crop of a 100% single exposure for you - I hope you can see what I mean. (Look for the little "spotlets" on the left of the image - you need to capture these if they are about!). Hope this is helpful to you - you mentioned getting the surface details in another post.

post-17157-133877732396_thumb.jpg

Archived