Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Equinox Spec ?

I'm confused :)

The latest edition of the OVL brochure states that the Equinox scopes use "The same First Class optics as used in the Evostar-ED PRO models now housed in tube assemblies of even higher quality." and yet the Equinox-80 is stated as being an 80mm F6.25 with a focal length of 500mm which sounds like a new optical set to me as the current ED PRO model is an 80mm F7.5.

In the Equinox 80mm FPL-53 glass is used for the inner lens element (so the brochure says) but I'd be interested to see if it maintains the colour correction of the older scope at the new shorter focal length. Has anyone actually tried one and if so can they shed some light the Equinox's spec and performance ?.

Thanks,

John

"The same First Class optics as used in the Evostar-ED PRO models now housed in tube assemblies of even higher quality."

I think they mean it uses FPL53 glass like the ED Pro unlike it's competition (Revelation, Moonfish and WO ED80II) which use FPL51. Not that it really makes any difference.

Are you getting one John? Want to sell the Orion ED80 :)

Russ

I think they mean it uses FPL53 glass like the ED Pro unlike it's competition (Revelation, Moonfish and WO ED80II) which use FPL51. Not that it really makes any difference.

Are you getting one John? Want to sell the Orion ED80 :)

Russ

Thanks for that Russ, I think you are right. I'd still like to know how it performs against the current ED80 (which is darned good IMHO) before plunking down some cash for one.

I'm actually looking for a 4inch apo at the moment. Depending what I end up going for, the ED80 might be on the market. I'm trying hard not to hurry this though (like I usually do :o). At the moment an ED100 is top of the list but I'm also looking at some other (slightly more expensive :)) options as well.

I'll keep you posted.

John

John, you and I seem to be on the same course scope wise. I'd really like an ED100, it's just finding one. I'd like to just hit the button on one of the Vixen Porta ED100SF for £999. :) But i think my wife would be a tad upset.

Russ

John, you and I seem to be on the same course scope wise. I'd really like an ED100, it's just finding one. I'd like to just hit the button on one of the Vixen Porta ED100SF for £999. :) But i think my wife would be a tad upset.

Russ

Russ,

Used ED100's are as rare as hens teeth at the moment. I've almost convinced myself that I'll buy a new one (OTA) from FLO - £500 or so assuming I'd get a SGL discount but I'm just holding back a bit to see what else comes up. I'm coming to the conclusion that there is nothing to touch the ED100 optically, even used, in that price range.

The only thing about the ED100 is the focal length - if I go for one I might decide to hang on to the ED80 for the wider views.

I was wondering if the arrival of the Equinox's would trigger a few of the older ED scopes to hit the used market but it's too early days yet I think.

John

• 1 month later...

I've just purchased an Equinox 80 ED, and although I haven't had the chance to test it on stars yet, I did set it up and zoom in on a lamp post a mile or so away. I'm impressed.... The whole construction, and focuser seems a world away from my Helios 120 f8.3 achro. Plus I got 200x with no image breakdown, and virtually no colour (The slightest hint of a yellow fringe, sometimes). I just need some clear skies now to be able to try it on stars.

Also, if you do a search you'll see that there are Equiniox ED 100's and ED 120's waiting in the wings. Should be making an appearance around Christmas this year.

Cheers

Dave

I've just purchased an Equinox 80 ED, and although I haven't had the chance to test it on stars yet, I did set it up and zoom in on a lamp post a mile or so away. I'm impressed.... The whole construction, and focuser seems a world away from my Helios 120 f8.3 achro. Plus I got 200x with no image breakdown, and virtually no colour (The slightest hint of a yellow fringe, sometimes). I just need some clear skies now to be able to try it on stars.

Also, if you do a search you'll see that there are Equiniox ED 100's and ED 120's waiting in the wings. Should be making an appearance around Christmas this year.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave - I'd be interested to see what you think of the Equinox when you try it under the stars - I have owned 3 ED80's and an ED100 and they were all excellent :D

At the moment I've got a Vixen ED102SS which I'm enjoying very much.

John

John, MartinB has kindly agreed to write a review comparing an Equinox 80 with an Evostar 80ED PRO. He already owns the 80ED (see HERE) and should receive the Equinox later this week. Hopefully the weather will cooperate enough for him to produce an image 8)

Thanks for that Steve - I'll certainly look forward to hearing Martin's on how these 2 scopes compare.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Well, I've had the Equinox 80 ED out under the stars and I must confess to being very pleased.

The lens shows virtually identical patterns either side of focus and the stars focus up a treat, with a nice airy disk when the magnification is pushed. I've had it up past 150x without any problems of image breakdown. The scope it's self is well made and the only thing I'll be changing is the dovetail, which isn't long enough to allow me to balance the scope properly with my CCD (Atik 16IC) attached and adding a finder. The focuser has a nice feel to it, and is very precise.

There is a small amount of colour when looking at bright objects, but I suspect my cheapy eyepieces are mainly responsible for that. This is the first scope I've had that has made me think that I need better eyepieces.

I don't have space here for a full review but I don't regret a penny of the money I've spent getting it.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I went out and played silly buggers with my Equinox ED 80.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the Horncastle Weekend, and the sky was perfect for both nights we were there.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I pushed the magification as far as I could to try and get the image to break down, and...

I failed.. I had the double double in view and with a 7.5mm ED eyepiece it just about split both pairs.

To gain a bit more dark space between the stars, I put a 3X barlow onto the scope with the same eyepiece. Result.. Lots more space between the stars, a single line around the outside of each pair of stars, and nice round stars. That's 200x by the way.

Then I did something really silly. I put a 2x barlow in there as well. More black space, still a single line around the two stars (I had run out of field of view to get both pairs in the eyepiece), and nice round stars. I didn't have any more barlows or higher magification eyepieces to hand, so I stopped there. If the figures are correct that was around 400x. However, even assuming the figures are not correct (I've been told that barlows on top of barlows dont give the correct numbers), thats still an awfull lot of magnification.

So I'm still very happy with my purchase

Dave

Archived