Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hexy a Twin 630mm hexadecagon plywood binoscope build

Hello peter, well this has come full circle if you like, I happen to have one of your scopes (I think) one that was built in the early nineties, It,s a beast of a thing or was ,as I have extensively modified it and that huge cannon ball of a counter weight is no longer part of it ,I can,t upload pics yet , not enough post , but will when able . the scope in question is a 12 inch all aluminium on a german equatorial mount motorised on a square legged alloy tripod painted grey, I think the mirror was made by david hinds ( would like to know if the aluminising was overcoated) as I wish to get it realuminised as it is such a good mirror, so yes hello peter.

As to the bino mirrors are you saying you have built a bino yourself??

any info would be great for me .thanks dan

Hello Dan.

Sounds like the 12" was one of mine. The mirrors were by David Hinds and the aluminising would have been quartz overcoated, David's aluminising was always very good and outlasted those from other sources. I've made around a dozen refracting binoscopes from 80mm to 200mm aperture and at least another dozen reflecting versions from 90mm to 300mm aperture. I still own a 102mm and 150mm refractor type and a 300mm reflecting version.

Hello peter, wow you been building bino,s for a while?? you sound like a true bino fan. Well we are not young anymore and I find my eyes struggling a bit in mono and looking through my 25x100 binocs is sure easy on the eye hence the bino route.As to the realuminising , do you have experience with "galvoptics" or any other aluminiser that you could recommend ..

Pic,s of your binos are not accessable are they, I would sure love to see some of them especially the 12 inch. if you would . many thanks dan

Hi peter, thanks for the confirmation , this scope is awsome still, the build of it amazed me . I would still love to see pics of the 12 inch bino though. if you would. is there any links to them ?

as to my 635 mirrors do you have any recommendations regarding the glass type and thickness? thanks dan

Hello Dan. The 12" Binos are currently dismantled waiting for relocating to their new housing as soon as the weather picks up. I don't think there is a photo of them on the Astronomy Centre website, i'll try and get some done for you shortly.

Archived