Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory Upgrades

Earl

Im going to be cladding the inside of my observatory, and also adding some guttering (due to my lazy design its needed).

Im going to build in a frame of timber from what I have stashed in the garage then put some membrane on it, finishing off with hardboard.

Any advice?

Personally I wouldn't use hardboard. I know Wayne has, and then gave it a good coat of paint, but IMO it's not ideal in this environment. I used 4mm ply in the warm room and divider, and will be lining the scope room in the same later this summer

Price was the major factor in lining my Obs/warm room in hardboard......

I nailed mine at every vertical support, so warping has not been an issue.

But make sure to prevent moisture ingress every step of the build.

Hardboard or for that matter ply will suffer with prolonged contact from moisture (unless you use Marine ply)

Wayne

I used a particleboard since ply in France is brutally expensive. It's well worth putting in some insualtion between the inner and outer walls. I used the cheapest exp. polystyrene but for small structures this is enough to make it dead easy to heat. Very nice it is is too!

Olly

I insulated mine too - mostly with 25mm thick polystyrene insulation in the walls and 50mm under floor and in ceiling/roof and in the north facing wall. Nice and cosy :)

I've used pine tongue & groove to line the obsy. Not cheap, but this was stuff left over from a loft conversion. It will get a coat of varnish one day to protect it. Time will tell wether the T&G warps or not, well seasoned though- it's been stored for 8 years! I haven't put in any insulation yet, but I could pour in some loosefill polystyrene later. I will need to insulate the roof though- this has started driping condensation in the cold weather.

Img_7940.jpg

I will need to insulate the roof though- this has started driping condensation in the cold weather.

I just glued some camping mats onto the roof and that problem was solved. nice and cheap.... hummm might just do that to the walls

Archived