Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Observatory Build

AstroMadBloke

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it (obviously) useful to isolate the scope from vibrations - See above. It is certainly possible (surprisingly so!) to shake the whole thing, if you jump up and down a bit! But, if I am observing visually, I tend to move around fairly quietly. VIDEO imaging (sub-10sec frames) presents few problems either. :)

As you note, in your blog, it ain't always TRIVIAL to optimise the location of the scope relative to the observatory walls - Especially with an equatorial mount! My observatory is on 2" flags, laid into concrete. I often wish the scope was "just six inches further south"? But then I didn't foresee my partitioned "warm room"! ;)

Obviously GOOD to plan things properly, but projects <ahem> "evolve"? LOL. When I started my observatory, I'd just moved in and had no "contacts" ... Now I know the odd, tame builder / landscape gardener. My physical abilities (strength, skills) are limited. I suspect one of 'em might have access to a road drill... :)

Thanks for doing the running blog Peter, I'm very interested to see how your design develops as I'm in the process of currently drafting up plans for my shed observatory. Spent all week clearing the groundwork and thinking through some design options currently, couldn't quite decide on a pier or not (due to budgets), and roll off or hinge so some of your decisions have been interesting to follow. Good Luck with your build, it's exciting to see it evolve.

was wondering how you were going to hinge the roof but that is a simple but good way you've implemented .when you felt the roof won't there be a gap were the apex sits as it needs to open? or have you overlapped the roof

pop out the bubbly

god bless it and all who sail[the sky in it:)] looks good mate well done on an excellent post and build .the apex might struggle on windy days if your at work why not have a length of wood across it that could be hooked down at either end of observatory,easy to unhook and would hold the extra flap down in most conditions.

That is a plan I had in mind dtr42, also going to put some down the front and rear edges which will be held on by wing nuts for ease of removal. As I said just the tidying up stage left.

Archived