First Telescope Confusion

Hi,

Hope someone here can help with a newbies question.

I was looking at the Skywatcher 130 as a possible first scope, then saw the Skywatcher 130P and have become confused as to which would be the better one.

The 130 quotes

"Telescope Focal Length: 900mm (f/6.92)"

The 130P quotes

"Telescope Focal Length: 650mm (f/5)"

The rest seems to be the same.

Isnt the focal length better to be longer?

Being an amateur photographer, this usually is the thinking.

Any help clarifying this would be appreciated.

Drew

in smaller scopes there isn't much in it what the p does in this case makes it a little more portable. the views are nearly the same the p is a little wider view and a little brighter but I have looked through both side by side and there isn't much in it. as mirrors get bigger the p gets more important the difference between an f5 200 and f8 is about 20 inches in length

you can use the 130 or 130p for a webcam but I'm sure I read that there wasn't enough inwards focus for dslr . The mount isn't up to taking pics of dso's but if you want pics of the planets a webcam is the best thing to use anyway

you can use the 130 or 130p for a webcam but I'm sure I read that there wasn't enough inwards focus for dslr . The mount isn't up to taking pics of dso's but if you want pics of the planets a webcam is the best thing to use anyway

Oh, glad you said that - that could be a deal breaker.

I need to do more research.

Thanks again.

Whatever you do Drew - don't be in a rush to get a scope. Do your research, set a budget, and you'll soon know enough to choose the appropriate scope for your intended use.

Scopes are as different as motor vehicles - there are several different types for different purposes - so there isn't necessarily a "best" scope to get. Some are good for observing, others for imaging. Then there's planetary or dso's. Then there's reflector, refractor or compound scopes. Mountings - equatorial, alt/az, or dobsonian?

Then you need to look at the numbers: focal length, focal ratio, aperture, field of view. Also eyepieces (budget, type, and magnification) and accessories (some essential, some desirable). A lot to research and take in depending on what you want to do.

Meantime any questions just ask away - good luck :)

Hi Drew - there is a book that gets recommended each time this subject comes up when someone who is new to the hobby has the aim of astro photography but for the life of me I can't remember its name- hopefully someone will step in and help. - every photon counts - remembered :0) http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Astro photography can be a very expensive hobby so spending £20 on some literature could be the best investment you make before you go down this road. Good luck

Steve

hi there from me,well the 130p may not be the best choice as already said the focuser would be a prob

not all is lost i use a 300p and i have video and pics of planets moon ect

heres to vids to look at my reflector as no tracking its on a dob mount

moon vid

jupiter vid

ok they not like some of the professional stuff on here my web cam cost a tenner ect and its not the best set up for this sort of thing but i get it to work for me

I really like them well done - I have the 8 Inch Dob and had not really considered trying to use a web cam but might have a go after seeing yours.

Out of interest - on your moon video - what is the slight shimmering effect you can see? When I got my 8mm Hyperion on the moon the other night I saw exactly the same thing - worse if anything?

Steve

Thanks Paul - I'm observing at the moment from my front garden which faces South and unfortunately looks over houses the other side of our street - presumably this is the effect of heat rising from the neighbours houses or is this just one possible element of poor seeing conditions

Whatever you do Drew - don't be in a rush to get a scope. Do your research, set a budget, and you'll soon know enough to choose the appropriate scope for your intended use.

Scopes are as different as motor vehicles - there are several different types for different purposes - so there isn't necessarily a "best" scope to get. Some are good for observing, others for imaging. Then there's planetary or dso's. Then there's reflector, refractor or compound scopes. Mountings - equatorial, alt/az, or dobsonian?

Then you need to look at the numbers: focal length, focal ratio, aperture, field of view. Also eyepieces (budget, type, and magnification) and accessories (some essential, some desirable). A lot to research and take in depending on what you want to do.

Meantime any questions just ask away - good luck :)

Thats pretty much where I am now - every time I think I have made a choice - I see or read something else and start over...

My budget will probably be around £500 - all in. (started off at £150 - lol)

Another thing, it has to be better than I get with camera and bigma.

Example taken using camera and balancing act.

Stargazing - Moon - Jupiter - 550D - YouTube

Initially would be for planets.

I do like the CPC800, but thats way out my range at the moment, unless that email from camelot comes in..

Many thanks for all the replies - this is really helping.

hi there from me,well the 130p may not be the best choice as already said the focuser would be a prob

not all is lost i use a 300p and i have video and pics of planets moon ect

heres to vids to look at my reflector as no tracking its on a dob mount

moon vid

jupiter vid

ok they not like some of the professional stuff on here my web cam cost a tenner ect and its not the best set up for this sort of thing but i get it to work for me

Great videos and the sort of thing I am after, initially.

Subscribed...

Need the tracking control though, and after suggestions above, might "need" motorised tracking...

Many thanks for the replies.

Not as easy a decision as one may have thought originally.

Archived