NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher ED80 Old Blue version

It's £200 for just OTA.

Also would £200 for Celestron C80EDR OTA be a good price as well? It's the older discontinued version of course.

Thanks!

It's entirely possible they're internally pretty much the same scope.

It doesn't strike me as a desperately unreasonable price for a good condition example though I've not paid much attention to them recently. Personally I'd not buy one unless I was planning to use it for imaging and intended to splash out on a decent mount, a guide scope and all the other associated gubbins (ohhh... I did :)

James

£200 for wither would be a good price, in good condition. Optics are identical, but the Celestron has a slightly slimmer tube body and is slightly lighter weight. The Celestron comes with a R&P which may need some work done to get it "just so". The Crayford on my old Blue Tube ED80 was fine.

Ant

I have the old blue version, £300 new,bare tube. changes on the latest version? well..

snazzier paint, dual speed focuser- the coatings may have been improved going by skywatchers' marketing material, or maybe it's just that~marketing?

Only use mine for visual- if your planning using for AP maybe a new version owner can answer the following question:

Does the latest version still use the rectangular lens spacers or have they changed to a ring spacer like my later ST's use?

Don't think it's anything too major to worry about, but i read somewhere the rectangular spacers can produce imaging artifacts...but that's purely anecdotal coming from an non imager.:)

Ahh I ended up buying the Celestron 80Ed for about 200, I think it was the rush from bidding on items on auction, it's hard to think clearly! But I hope it was a good price and hoping it's a good scope but really worried about the focuser now after reading through this forum. Sounds really difficult and expensive to change, but hopefully this one will be alright.

I bought a Celestron C100ed last year from here, bargain at £180 it cost about £120 to put a Skywatcher dual speed crayford on on it. I still consider it a bargain buy for a really nice scope.

You can get adaptor rings from Agena and Baader to attach the same focusser to your OTA.

Archived