The absolute basics!

I delved a little in astronomy about 9 years ago, with little research I bought a Celestron (SLT?) telescope and I must have used it about 5 times before selling it, as it was just gathering dust.

My interest in the sky never quite went, and I'm looking get back into this properly. The little I had previously learnt is now long forgotten, so I am after buying some good foundation books.

What books would you guys recommend? (i.e. maps, guidebooks and how to use sky charts etc). Basically well-known trusted beginners-intermediate books. A little astrophysics wouldn't hurt either. If it helps, I've got an iPhone and an iPad with a number of popular astronomy apps.

My last telescope had the "goto" feature, but I really want to read the sky instead (it's all part of the fun right? :icon_salut:).

Also, instead of jumping in the deep-end (again) and getting another telescope, I'm looking to purchase a pair of decent(ish) bins. At the moment I like the look of Helios Quantum-4 15x70's.

I would also like to ask the question...if you were to rewind back time and start this hobby again, what would you do differently?

Thank you for your help.

--

Regards,

m12

A little astrophysics wouldn't hurt either.

m12

Not astro physics but this is a good general introduction >publication< which will give you a reasonable understanding of astronomy and makes you realise whats out there.

I would also recommend each month getting your hands on some astro mags such as astronomy now and s@n

My last telescope had the "goto" feature, but I really want to read the sky instead (it's all part of the fun right? :icon_salut:).

Personally I like seeing what I want, a goto helps enormously. If I only have 2 hours observing time I want to see things, not try to locate them.

I have small scopes and I would not change that. All are easy to use, no effort to transport and set up.

Cannot think of much I would change, aperture doesn't really interest me. If someone has a bigger scope good luck to them.

On one forum someone asked: Which would you see the most with, 12" dobsonian or an 80mm refractor. One answer was simply the 80mm, it will get used a hell of a lot more, so you will see more with it.

Before you dismiss goto's a lot of people have a goto in one form or another. Betting that manual scopes are in the minority.

Concerning binoculars they are not an alternative to a scope, they are additional, and complimentry, to one. With 15x70's you will see a small disk and 4 four small dots round Jupiter. With a small scope at 50x I will see a bigger disk, 2 dark bands and the four dots (still).

I can up the magnification to 120 and see the rings of Saturn easily, 15x70's will show a smaller disk. Astronomy is really done with a telescope.

Thanks for the replies.

Capricorn, I am in no way disregarding GoTo, it has its place, I've used and found it helpful and will no doubt use it on my future scope. However I also want to learn how to "read the sky", something I'm guessing will soon be a dying art. I also believe in "practice makes perfect", yes it'll probably take me a long time find celestial objects, but eventually (hopefully!!!) it will get quicker with time.

Bins will not be used to replace a scope, it'll merely be used as a "necessary" stepping-stone, as well as an addition to a decent scope. Last time I spent around £400 on a scope that was used literally a handful of times, I'll be quite blunt and say it was unfortunately a waste of money, despite being able to see Saturn and its rings, Jupiter and its moons and Mars with its ice-caps.

By buying a decent(ish) set of bins, it'll allow me to observe the sky, as well as getting accustomed to the sky chart etc.

By buying a decent(ish) set of bins, it'll allow me to observe the sky, as well as getting accustomed to the sky chart etc.

Just make sure that you wont miss being able to magnify what it is you are looking at.

Bins are a great next to a scope.

I too am a beginner. I have a pair of 10 x 50 bins which I find great. Can't believe how many more stars I can see with them compared to the naked eye. Even with only 10x mag I still find I need to lean (either me or the bin's) against something solid in order to stabilise the image, 15x mag would need more stabilising. There is loads of stuff here at SGL to advise about bin's, by people who are a lot more qualified than me. A good place to start is tetenterre's web site BinocularSky - Home. At the mo, I have no desire for a scope :icon_salut:, tho I'm sure that will change over the next year or two. I find I can see loads using just the bin's, including the four moons of Jupiter.

As for books, I have this one http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-binoculars/56871-stargazing-binoculars-beginners-first-review.html. Can't recommend it highly enough. There are a couple of chapters that cover the night sky for each month, with pictures, diagrams and a description of what to looks out for each month and where to look.

A friend of mine has an app on his mobile phone - you point it at the sky and it shows you what's up there, it looks good. Alas my phone is only good for phoning people :). So I have installed Stellarium on my PC which is fantastic. Another great web site that covers our solar system is Solar System Scope.

Hope that helps a little......

On one forum someone asked: Which would you see the most with, 12" dobsonian or an 80mm refractor. One answer was simply the 80mm, it will get used a hell of a lot more, so you will see more with it.

What a weird answer.

How could he even begin to know what scope would be used most.

Whichever scope is used most has nothing to do with aperture and everything to do with personal choice.

So how can he tell someone else what scope they will or won't use.

Sounds a bit presumptuous to me.

Regards Steve

What a weird answer.

How could he even begin to know what scope would be used most.

Whichever scope is used most has nothing to do with aperture and everything to do with personal choice.

So how can he tell someone else what scope they will or won't use.

Sounds a bit presumptuous to me.

Regards Steve

Indeed, however! :icon_salut:

Several years ago my first bit of kit was a C9.25 and if it got used four or five times in the first couple of years? that was all.

At the time I had a binocular gathering dust and have used that several times a week, every week! so for me the binocular was the more practical choice and allowed me to see more than the C9.25 did :)

I bought a better binocular and small refractor and found I could enjoy the visual easily and quickly without the hassle of a big scope ;) Don't get me wrong, I love the C9.25 whenever I get to use it but if I'm honest, it's not that often. :(

As a newbie, I am really enjoying my binoculars. I got a binocular mount that fits my camera tripod, and that gets rid of the shakes. It also allows me to set it up on something interesting, and then the kids can look straight through it without me having to explain where to look!

I am really enjoying"The Practical Astronomer" at the moment, loads of info from the ground up.

I think I will get a small refractor at some point, before a larger scope with goto for astrophotography. But I think that is at least a year away. Having too much fun with the immeadiacy of the binoculars.

Archived