Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Foiled again!

stolenfeather

February 3rd, 2012

There are certain people that fill us with resentment and make us shrink into a world where battery acid pulses through our veins. Of course, one understands that such a negative power is controlled entirely by you. Although you are the only one that can stop the unbelievable crippling sensation, sometimes it seems much easier to do nothing and let it fester. Yeah, one therefore creates their own suffering.

"It comes from others!" you scream! "I wouldn't be like this if she/he would be more understanding and less cruel!" That maybe true but resentment is a feeling you create and is simply a matter of perspective right?

This astronomy journal is undeniable proof that resentment lies only in the eyes of the individual that nurtures it. You see, I hold a grudge against Mars.

This feeling developed slowly throughout my stargazing experiences. One by one, I "captured" different planets in my eyepiece and each one filled me with awe! First there was Venus which was quickly followed by Saturn and then the majestic Jupiter. Seeing Mercury and Uranus were also a mesmerizing experiences since both were more elusive (one so close to the sun and the other farther away).

Then there was Mars,.. confused.png

Mars has yet to fill me with any excitement. After reading so much on the planet, I expected so much more from what my eyepiece shared with me the first time. All I saw was a red blur! Unfortunately, nothing has changed since that first encounter. It's not the telescope or my stargazing prowess that's at fault but circumstances beyond anyone's control. Time (I had professional restraints which kept me bound to my computer), an orbit that doesn't coincide with my viewing pleasure, bad collimation because of a lack of adequate tools, clouds, being too close to the horizon and,... more clouds. Last night I told myself that nothing would stop me! I set up eagerly, making a serious attempt to forgive the misdeeds of yesterday.

403129_10150514407886286_521876285_9253746_1334999146_n.jpg
"My efforts will be in vain." I told myself as I set up and checked the status of my weather station module. The humidity was at 86% while the mercury boasted -26. Once outside, this translated to extreme condensation. I thought that maybe I could see "just enough",.. No. Once again, it was a big blurry mess and absolutely no detail could be seen. I would have settled for so little yet, my efforts were ignored once more.

My failure has nothing to do with the red planet. However,

being foiled for so long by a heavenly body

bright red, an arrogance bordering on snotty

so easily seen with the unaided eye

deeply insults my proud Dobsonian and I.

Isabelle

Detail is a little elusive with the red planet at the moment for many from the reports I have seen Isabellle, for me only the Northern Polar region stood out when I looked but I hope I will pick out a bit more next time I am out for a prolonged observing session.

No matter how it appears through the telescope I have been taken by how well it appears naked eye on many nights recently. :icon_salut:

Look forward to your next report on it, hope it reveals a touch more for you then. :)

Clear Skies

I find the brightness in our dob knocks the detail out for me, I can usually only see the polar cap by going way past 300x mag. The image is then a bit blurry but at least I can then see the cap!

I guess I need a filter of some kind?

I love being able to see the ice cap though, awesome! Hope you get some detail soon.

I find the brightness in our dob knocks the detail out for me, I can usually only see the polar cap by going way past 300x mag. The image is then a bit blurry but at least I can then see the cap!

I thought Mars was uninspiring until recently. I have been able to see some detail and an ice cap. I think my poor eyesight is a help with planetary viewing. I seem to be able to pick out more detail than Luke, so maybe my poor eyesight dims the brightness a bit. He can certainly see much fainter DSOs than me! Have also recently tried the Baader Neodymium filter when viewing Mars and that helped pull out a bit more detail too. I can't see much when Luke cranks the power up though, just a fuzzy blob!

Maybe a filter will help Isabelle? I would say it is well worth the effort and perseverance!

+1 for the "Underwhelmed by Mars" club.

Admittedly my scope isn't the best planet hunter. Weather permitting I will have a go when the sky allows but even with better eyepieces this year my expectations aren't high.

Just have to satisfy myself with its beautiful naked eye colour.

For me, February and March will be better spent hunting galaxies; Dim and fuzzy they may be but at a mind-blowing distance. The better ones will hopefully reveal some of their secrets. :icon_salut:

Thank you for your suggestions all. Purchasing a filter Sarah sounds like the best option for me. I will definitely increase the magnification Luke the next time and hope the sky is stable enough to handle it. Hmmm,.. you might have something there about the brightness Luke,.. it does indeed rob us of the detail!

I have to agree with you Alan, our red neighbour is truly a beautiful site without the scope. I guess I'm being greedy,.. I want to at least see a hint of an ice cap!

Like you Double Kick, I am looking forward to February and March for looking at deep space objects. Right now, if only the moon would dim a little,.. it would be of great help!

Isabelle

Maybe consider masking the scope and getting rid of the central obstruction, it'l improve contrast and reduce brightness.

Failing that, i know many people get great results from Mars in the early hours (between 3-4am) when they can just about get away with 250-300x.

It's always going to be small, but at the moment it's getting bigger by the day. Maybe just give it a couple of weeks and then try an early morning session. I remember my first try at it 2 months ago revealed an orange star, yet last week i had a decent sized disc, with and easy polar cap, and an easy dark feature around the cap too.

This hobby wouldn't be half as fun without the challenges :)

Your suggestion is very doable Jimmy! I will therefore be patient and head out in the morning. Something tells me that this time,... it won't slip through my fingers! Thanks! Yeah,.. you HAVE to love challenges to be interested in astronomy. They are predicting -42 tonight. let's hope it warms up in the next few weeks!

Isabelle

They are predicting -42 tonight

Heck that's incredible, is that the norm for you Isabelle?

Currently over here we do have winter taking a grip with temps ranging from -3 to as much as -18/20 in places but -41? I think it would be hard to understand how to live under such conditions apart from not going out at all!

-42 is NOT the norm. The mercury usually flirts around the -20's 30's (Celsius). The arctic wind takes it toll and once in awhile (during the month of February) we hit the -40's.

The coldest I have felt up here is -47! :)

Have I been outside in the -40's with my telescope? Yes, but I did this only a couple of times. At these temperatures, the sky rewards you with wonderful visibility! There is absolutely no atmospheric disturbances! Crystal clear,..

but frostbite will definitely be part of the experience as well! :icon_eek:

Isabelle

Thanks Alan, I'm looking forward to being out there since we have had our share of clouds these days! I was able to go outside with my students a couple of nights ago but we only had 30 minutes as a window. I do hope this weather system changes since we are doing a project with my class and stargazing is an important aspect of the project!

Isabelle

Actually, the project deals with globular clusters. My students aim to prove that we can use them to locate the galactic center of the Milky Way. Of course, we will mostly be looking at the constellations on the summer night sky but will explore the stars in February as well (as a comparison). I am looking forward to seeing the completion of this project myself.

Isabelle

-42 is NOT the norm. The mercury usually flirts around the -20's 30's (Celsius). The arctic wind takes it toll and once in awhile (during the month of February) we hit the -40's.

The coldest I have felt up here is -47! :icon_eek:

Have I been outside in the -40's with my telescope? Yes, but I did this only a couple of times. At these temperatures, the sky rewards you with wonderful visibility! There is absolutely no atmospheric disturbances! Crystal clear,..

but frostbite will definitely be part of the experience as well! :angry4:

Isabelle

Ouch, that is cold. -20 is the coldest i've felt (wind chill -30) and that was bad enough.

You know it's cold when the temperature in Fahrenheit is about the same as in degrees Celsius! :)

I too have not seen any discernable features on the red planet, but if you hold out till 3rd of march at Opposition and should be a cracker to view then.

No doubt that will coincide with the worst cloud ever seen by man!!

Archived