NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ding Dong!!

spaceboy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in Letchworth, and dating my now wife, I showed her and her dad Jupiter etc through that scope. <grin> he became so absorbed that we didnt realise the time, and when we came in he was freezing cold and turning gently blue!

Still, she forgave me and married me.

I agree that it's hardly a huge amount of money for all the components.

I imagine the problem from the point of view of selling it is that these days relatively few houses actually have a garden big enough to house it and an observatory large enough for it. I suspect the set of people who satisfy the criteria:

a) interested in astronomy

:) have space for it

c) want an EQ-mounted telescope this big

d) have an obsy big enough, or somewhere to store it whilst they build one

e) have the spare cash to buy it, plus the cost of the obsy if required

f) have the means to move it

g) won't have to face a divorce as a result of buying it

is quite small.

James

I'm okay on points a-f only!

Met up with Kev on Wednesday and he pointed this out to me... God I remember him commissioning Phil Stone to build it. To be honest you would expect to pay over that asking price for the mirror set alone... This is one serious bit of kit and it shows just how well these were put together... 20 years on and it still looks as good as the day Phil and his team installed it.... If only my observatory was bigger and I had a few grand going spare.

Archived