Really dumb but serious photography question

If the lenses are removable then you should be and to find a t-ring that will fit directly into your focuser tube - without an EP (prime focus). Alternatively you can take a picture "through your EP" directly - although this is not the most satisfactory astrophotography setup.

The lens on that model can not be removed, therefore the only means of taking pictures using your telescope is by the Afocal method.

That simply mean, employing an eyepiece in the scopes focuser, and with your camera focus set to Infinity, place the cameras lens as close to the eyepiece as you can. You must focus using the scopes focuser mechanism. Holding the camera by hand will cause difficulties, when operating the camera shutter, so you can perhaps buy an adaptor which will allow you to safely attach the camera, and focus up your target.

The moon is a good start for tbis method, beacause it is easy to locate.

You will have to experiment with exposure times, but depending upon the moons phase, start at a fairly fast shutter speed, of about 1/250th of a second. If the moon is at crescent phase, the exposure can be slower, and increased as the moon gets brighter as the lunation progresses throughout the month.

This is not an Ideal way, but it has been used with great success by lunar imagers . It may take you a while to perfect it, but experimentation will educate you as to the settings required.

This method will work on the bright planets too, but practice is essential.

This device might suit you, but make enquiries first.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/skywatcher-universal-camera-adapter.html

Good Luck.

Ron.

Thanks for that info, if I can ask another question without wanting to bother anyone to much, what cameras have a removable lens that will not cost a lot of money? As I'm just a beginner I'm not so fussed about the most amount of MP's but just something to practice with, thanks again.

The lens is not removeable so a T ring wont work. I have a Canon Powershot that is similar, but I use a DSLR. You can get an afocal mount such as this:

Astro Engineering PH047 Ultra Afocal Digital Camera Support

Basically they attach to the focuser tube and holds the camera lens over the eyepiece.

Some people have had great success with this method.

A bracket like one First Light Optics - Skywatcher Universal Camera Adapter can be used with camera for simple afocal photography. The bracket clamps around the eyepiece and the camera is attached to the platform with the tripod thread which your camera should have on the base. This type of photography is really only practical were short exposures are required.

Peter

The lens on that model can not be removed, therefore the only means of taking pictures using your telescope is by the Afocal method.

That simply mean, employing an eyepiece in the scopes focuser, and with your camera focus set to Infinity, place the cameras lens as close to the eyepiece as you can. You must focus using the scopes focuser mechanism. Holding the camera by hand will cause difficulties, when operating the camera shutter, so you can perhaps buy an adaptor which will allow you to safely attach the camera, and focus up your target.

The moon is a good start for tbis method, beacause it is easy to locate.

You will have to experiment with exposure times, but depending upon the moons phase, start at a fairly fast shutter speed, of about 1/250th of a second. If the moon is at crescent phase, the exposure can be slower, and increased as the moon gets brighter as the lunation progresses throughout the month.

This is not an Ideal way, but it has been used with great success by lunar imagers . It may take you a while to perfect it, but experimentation will educate you as to the settings required.

This method will work on the bright planets too, but practice is essential.

This device might suit you, but make enquiries first.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/skywatcher-universal-camera-adapter.html

Good Luck.

Ron.

that link is bringing me back to this page mate, thanks for your help and taking your time, i do appriciate it.

Altered to the correct one. Sorry about that.

Thanks for that info, if I can ask another question without wanting to bother anyone to much, what cameras have a removable lens that will not cost a lot of money? As I'm just a beginner I'm not so fussed about the most amount of MP's but just something to practice with, thanks again.

The only cameras that have removable lenses are DSLRs, Compact System cameras and 35mm film SLRs and expensive medium format cameras.

Peter

If you want a really cheap solution, you can pick up 35mm film SLR cameras on eBay for less than £20 - look for any of the cannon EOS range. The downside (obviously) is that you won't get instant results! But if your on a very tight budget...

thanks for the ebay link, I just purchased one but not from the link because im very inpatient and didnt want to wait for it to arrive from hong kong but i did buy that very mount but from a uk seller.

thanks

will i need an ir filter or will my camera be fine.

I managed to grab these half decent snapshots of Jupiter and Saturn just by sticking a compact camera up to the eypiece.

I used a Canon G12 at full zoom and minimum focus with about 1/40 sec exposure for each.

Not conventional, I know, but I quite like doing it this way.

I am very interested in the adaptor mount that was mentioned, though.

post-27677-133877728515_thumb.jpg

Archived