NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

newbie help VERY much needed

hi folks, ive had a nose through this newbie section and have seen people asking similar questions to mine but they generally seem to know more about astronomy than me so im a little lost... so here goes, and i apologise if im going over things that i dare say have been asked a thousand times before...

i am a total and utter newbie, and know nothing at all about astronomy and need some advice on which first telescope and whatever else i may need.

i obviously want to spend as little as i can and dont mind buying used as long as its decent condition, i dont have a set budget but would like to spend no more than £500 ideally a hell of a lot less but i know that the more i spend the more i see. i know its not a lot of money for what you guys do but im not made of money so i cant really go over the £500 mark

id like a telescope that can give me as good a quality lunar image as i can get for my money as im fascinated with the moon and then as good an image of anything else as i can get.. id love to be able to attach a camera, especially my canon dslr, in fact attaching a camera is a big part of what id like to do... and although as a learner i probably should go without it and spending the money on a it would take it away from telescope quality i would love a goto system.. and as a real gadget freak if i could hook it upto a pc all the better... so a big list for a small budget...

so any ideas?

steve

Hi, if you want to do mainly lunar photography, then you could get away with a reflector or refractor on an EQ5, or maybe even a Dob reflector. If you want to do much more than that, & with a DSLR you will really need an Apo refractor and a EQ5Pro or EQ6 mount to get best reults. The second option is probably outside your budget, even 2nd hand? You could try some webcam imaging on moon & planets, which again is a cheaper option & can be done on a cheaper scope & mount. Hope that helps :D CW

Hi Kitty,

Welcome to Stargazers. I was like you once and I posted a message similar to yours.

I soon came to realise that there is no scope that will meet all your requirements and also that although the pictures you see on Stargazers are amazing, to take them takes a lot of effort, time and in general, money.

As you are just starting out, I would suggest initally you take the observational route rather than the image taking one. You will get to know the skies and the kind of things you can see. A dobsonian gives you bangs for the buck i.e a large aperture for light collection and comparatively cheap. A good start would be the Skywatcher 150 or 200P with or without goto.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

You will then find out if you enjoy astronomy without breaking the bank.

The astrophotography can then come later if you so wish.

Hope this helps.

Simon :D

• 2 weeks later...

well after looking at this forum and a few other places i went for a celestron nexstar 6se, and ive had a phone call earlier to let me know its at home waiting for me.. so thanks to all you guys and first light optics for great service and advice :icon_scratch:

damn.. i wish i'd had a day off today

Coo, that's good. Did you go over your budget or did you manage to get it cheaper somewhere?

budget.. what budget.. yeh i went over... i have a real issue with gadgets :icon_scratch:

sick as a pig today with man flu.. so ive opend it to have a look but i wont be doinf much... weathers not playing ball here in wales either.. like it ever does mind

budget.. what budget.. yeh i went over... i have a real issue with gadgets :icon_scratch:

sick as a pig today with man flu.. so ive opend it to have a look but i wont be doinf much... weathers not playing ball here in wales either.. like it ever does mind

Awww, I hate that term 'man flu'! You're ill! Pamper yourself and imagine the pleasure you'll have when you get observing. Have you joined a local astro group?

nah, closest club to me is cardiff which isnt that far really.. 15 or 16 miles but i dont drive so it may be difficult.. if i can sort something i will tho

Why not set up one yourself? If you don't feel confident yet, you will soon enough. I'm a member of a club started by a guy who's very much a newbie and it's doing well. He gives talks on the facts of astronomy and invites astro-buddies to observing nights. It doesn't have to be complicated! You've got a great scope there.

funny you should say that... i run a website and forum for my village and one of the forum members has recently got into astronomy.. and between us were trying to sort something out, just an informal gathering rather than a full blown club.. i write a colum in a local paper so its had a mention this week,. he publishes a local free paper so hes mentioned it.. hopefully we can find some like minded souls

Archived