Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Colchester

vince1976

Hi and welcome to sgl. I'd agree and Def have a look at north Essex society. Been to many of their stargazing events at Notley and most of their monthly talks with really good speakers! .... Well i would be slightly bias as I'm the events and publicity officer for them! Lol ;-) check out our website and see what we've got planned coming up soon... North Essex Astronomical Society we're a really friendly bunch and very active within the community. We don't pressure anyone into joining us but if you were to it costs £25 for the year or £35 for a family.... 2adults and children.. This give you full access to our dark site where our observatory is housing a 12 inch lx200, 110William optics refractor, lunt solar scope 14inch dob which is in the process of being over hauled and almost done. As well as endless cuppas from within it's own kitchen area which also has toilet facilities! High end pc to use for imaging and friendly faces always willing to help out! Hope to see you at one of our events soon. Paul

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum, I'm not far from you (near Ipswich). I live in an area that isn't too bad for LP, but it's gradually getting worse.

Have a look at the LP map here to get an idea of coverage in your area:

Light Pollution Map: East of England | Campaign to Protect Rural England

There's also a growing user-submitted map here, but not much info for East Anglia yet:

MyDarkSky - SQM Map

Hi Vince, I am also a newb here on SGL and am from Essex too nearer to the south, and the end..... I don't like to actually use the name!

Unfortunately I don't yet have any tips for you regarding good sky locations but will definitely be using this post to steal the same tips you are being given. (might see you at the next NEAS meeting!) Until then, my back garden will have to suffice...

John

• 2 weeks later...

Archived