Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Colchester

vince1976

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to observing despite being interested in the solar system and space since I was a child. I've finally decided to dip a toe in the water and purchase a SkyWatcher Explorer 130P.

Being a programer by trade (but sadly not a rich one or I'd have got the 200P), I decided on the SynScan AZ GOTO mount in the hope of hacking around with some webcam astrophotography and remote computer guidance later.

For now though, I'm enjoying getting familiar with it via the included eyepieces and aquainting myself with the night sky. I've not even felt the need to align the mount yet as I'm discovering so much without it's assistance.

I'll no doubt have a hundred questions to ask when I get going but for now I've only one. Light pollution is a real problem here in Colchester - is there anyone nearby that can suggest good dark sites not too far away?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL! There are plenty of sites around Colchester that willl get you away from the major LP. take alook at NEAS North Essex Astronomical Society they have regular events in Braintree and I've attended a couple and they seem like a very nice bunch of people.

If you fancy meeting up for joint gazing session pm me and we'll see what we can arrange.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realise there was a society nearby. I'll certainly have to pop along.

I wish Google Maps had a nighttime satellite image to make finding dark spots easier. Looking purely at the lack of streetlamps in streetview, I'm tempted to give Dedham a try as it's close by and has plenty of open meadow.

Meeting sometime sounds great too, cheers. Once I get to grips more with my scope and the sky I'll PM.

Archived