NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laser pointers

Laser pointers are usefull to experienced amateurs as they help to point out objects in the sky for beginners. The green models are best for visibility, 5mw power is adequate, any more can be dangerous. Best to buy a good quality one, cheap units can be unreliable.

They have another use as well; if you fire them through your finderscope the finder aligns the beam pretty well with the scope and you can do quick alignments without ricking your neck. This is great if you have a neck like mine!

You'll be aware that they mustn't be pointed at aircraft or other people and are best not shown to sad idiots who might buy them and point them at referees etc...

Olly

From my experiences at star parties a good quality 5mw green laser is adequate for pointing out targets in the night sky for the public, but beware, if there are a number of Astronomers at the meet using these devices, do not let the beams cross, children, dogs and grannies have been known to disappear lol :)

I recently got one of these and its fantastic for aligning and explaing to folk where in the sky interesting objects are etc, but I always feel like im going to get a knock on the door by the local Plod accusing me of trying to bring down aircraft which would no doubt involve a large fine and some time in the slammer etc, naturally im very careful what i point it at and don't leave it on continually.

Does anyone know what the actual law states on this matter? has anyone been reprimanded for using one for astro.

Cheers

Keith

Archived