Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star maps

Hi guys,

I'm currently using bins to view & for navigation I'm using skeye on my phone but getting rather frustrated.I've got stellarium on my macbook but I'm loathe to bring either out to user in earnest when viewing.are there any star maps/charts I can buy in book or map form I can use that are any good.

Any recommendations will be gratefully received.also will help this weekend as I'm picking up my 1st scope...

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, try 'Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas' , you can get it from Amazon and is highly recommended. In fact i use it myself and find it every easy to follow.

Gra.

I second that :)

It lives in my eyepiece case and is my first choice for finding stuff.

Collins Gem guide to the stars - as stated elsewhere in the fora, is an inexpensive, comprehensive guide to teh constellations, brighter stars, and interesting objects. Highly recommended.

Nortons star atlas is the old standby, still a good buy.

Almost any introductory map made by Wil Tirion is worth a look. Look for something that goes to magnitude 9 for 7x50 binoculars. Or thereabouts.

Carte du Ciel is a free downloadable program for generating star charts, among other things. There are others - google for star charts, downloadable.

Skymaps.com do a monthly all sky chart which would keep binoculars occupied for a while. The BAA do something similar.

The willman bell site may have something, also check out Amazon for the lower cost deals.

Philips do a star chart wall map (or they did?) As well as a Moon map wall hanger.

I'll see what else I can dredge up from a rusty memory.

You are welcome to pop up to the Keele Observatory open evenings (Keele Observatory) - regular support staff may have some of these with them.

Regards, James Albinson, Keele Observatory Support Group

For binocular observing (and for a small telescope), the link below will bring you to a free downloadable program for binocular observing. Then you can print out any part of it for use outside. Lots of new/experienced observers love it, as I do.

I also use/recomend, what I think, is the ultimate sky atlas - the tiron 2000. It does have very large pages and is useful for all observers with large or small telescopes.

The binocular atlas program link is:Touring the Universe through Binoculars Atlas

thanks for the responses guys, i'll have a look at those recommendations.

As for not taking out the phone - its a pain having the bins out then having to put them down, get my phone out, focus on an object then get the bins back onto target...

Cheers

Andy

Some good advice re guides but the moon will be nearly full by the weekend which means that you'll be seeing the moon some planets and just the brightest stars so plenty of time to get a good star guide.

I use Stellarium and Starwalk on my iPad and Phillips guide to Stars and Planets but I'm a beginner so I won't recommend any.

thanks for the responses guys, i'll have a look at those recommendations.

As for not taking out the phone - its a pain having the bins out then having to put them down, get my phone out, focus on an object then get the bins back onto target...

Cheers

Andy

ok ....but you will have the same problem with a book !! :)

Disagree HemiHaggis... With a book you only need to glance down to get a reference point, whereas with my phone, i have to get it out/pick it up point it at the sky, find my object, put it back, then re-acquire with the bins... A book would be far better. I take the point though & on that note, the macbook would be the best software solution.

Have ordered the sky pocket atlas.

Will also have a look at the tetrad maps, i can use my terrestrial map case to keep them dry & dew free!

Cheers

Andy

:icon_salut:you do know that they are selling brakets on ebay for attaching your phone to your scope or bins .

i find using smart phone much easier for locating objects , the pattern of stars you are looking at in a book , you then have to find in the sky then find with your scope/bins , with phone you just hold it up to sky till it ovelaps the right stars bingo , with skeye on android you can set up indirectly , use elastic band to hold your phone in place on scope , then find two stars you know input the postions on the app and you have a "push to" telescope , works great ,it has a red light mode .

you then input the object you want to view and a little arrow point/up/down/left/right you simply push the scope in that direction till the circle appeers , plus its free ...... all you need it is an elestic band !!! :)

When you put it like that...I obviously haven't looked outside that box yet lol. Will do now though!!!

This is why this site is such an amazing resource... a duffer like me would be absolutely clueless!!!

Cheers

Andy

I use Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas - I have two, one to keep indoors and one for outside in the damp. The one I use outside is a bit tatty now (mainly the front and back covers due to being placed on a damp patio table) but still perfectly usable and at the price I'll just replace it when it gets so bad It falls to pieces!

I use the TriAtlas here : JR's website on Deep Sky Astronomy

Excellent maps and a real money saver!

I've only printed the A and B sets so far as they are enough for me at the moment. I then used some software to cross reference the Messier and NGC catalogues to the atlas. Pictures of the finished article are below.

In the future I would like to laminate the pages and use a more weatherproof binder, but it's doing its job for now.

photo-52-2.jpgphoto-53-1.jpg

photo-54-1.jpgphoto-55-1.jpg

photo-56-1.jpgphoto-57-1.jpg

photo-60-1.jpgphoto-61-1.jpg

Archived