Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Room for a shy newbie?

AstroMum

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Wow, so many friendly people here! Such a lovely welcome, thank you all. :)

I also want a motorised or GOTO mount as I intend to dabble in some astrophotography. I did see a nice Orion 8" Dob with a GOTO mount, but it's out of my price range.

Very glad to hear you're happy with the Evostar 120. I'm really excited about it, but need to look at the finances and hope the husband agrees!

hi, if you want a refractor with GOTO on a limited budget I would suggest something like the skywatcher 102 star travel Az GOTO for 280 pounds (slightly cheaper than the Celestron equivalent).

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Startravel 102 SynScan AZ GOTO

That way, when you want to dabble in astrophotography you could take off the scope and put a DSLR on there with a lens and get some excellent photos without worrying about polar alignment and auto guiding. You can get a DSLR for around 150 pounds and still use it for normal photos too.

The EVO star 120 will be an excellent scope, much better than the 102 Star Travel, but would be too heavy for the Az goto, so you'll need something like a EQ5/HEQ5 goto (if you want goto), all of which pushes the price up significantly and the time required to set up.

All depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you want to spend setting up. Whether goto is a good idea depends on whether you want to spend time finding stuff or looking at stuff.

hope that helps

Archived