Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranus

Craig20264

I was fortunate to catch Saturn for the first time at around 5-45am this morning before going off to work. It was so clear and crisp, absolutely wonderful, and I plan to spend a lot of time studying it over my days off, however I also now want to catch Uranus which I know is a far greater challenge due to it's distance from us mere mortals. I am under no illusions that it will be anything more than a bluish spot, but would still like to see for myself.

Do you guys have any tips or pointers for finding it. I've just had a quick scan and following Stellarium, took a line from Venus around a third of the way up towards Jupiter, but no joy. Venus has now disapeared over the houses to the West of me so will leave it for another night. Am I better waitng until Uranus is higher in the sky? Is it visible in a finderscope or is it a case of trawling the area slowly with my main scope?

As always all help appreciated.

Cheers

I managed to see it through my bins a couple of weeks ago using stellarium, my first view.

I think its a question of trying to identify the star patterns around the planet. I zoom in on the area using stellarium to an area in size that matches the fov of my bins and sort of try and match things up. When i think i have found it, i then go back a few days later to see if it has 'moved' and then compared it again to stellarium.

I have only been using this software for only a few weeks but is proving very productive. I am still new at this hope this helps.

Cheers:)

This is deffinitily an area of observing that having a Goto is very, very useful.

IMO because DSO,s don't move they're no problem to find but telescopic planets, and other solar system minor bodies is where a Goto really shows its metal.

Uranus is only just beyond visual range so any sort of optical aid will easily locate it. I find it's colour less obvious than Neptunes, but I think my eyes seem more blue sensitive than others.

Even in a finder it does have a certain non stellar look about it (similar to a naked eye Planet), and in your main scope you should recognise it straight away.

Good hunting and clear skies

Regards Steve

Archived