Celestron NexStar 8SE £400 Better Than The 6SE?

Hi all,

Is there really much difference between the 6SE and the 8SE? The 8SE is over £400 more expensive. I plan on using either one of these telescopes for the rest of my life, but when you add Powertank, Dew Shields, Lenses, Powerlead the 8SE is going to cost me £1500 and the 6SE about £1000.

What would you do, the money is not a huge issue, but £400 - £500 is a big difference. If i get the 6SE will i always wish i got the 8SE.

Has anyone got any comparison shots of the two of the same planet etc? Is the 8SE really that much better?

Thanks... Martin

I went through this decision process some three years ago. Ended up buying a 6SE and had to balance various factors including instrument performance, cost(s), portability, weight, convenience, built in obsolescence, resale value vs initial outlay, yada, yada, yada. I've never regretted my decision.

IMHO the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in after about 6" of aperture. Paying 50% more does not give you 50% better optics (nor does it make you a better astronomer). On these forums we tend to suffer from aperture fever too frequently :(

Sometimes less is more.

Ultimately only you can decide on what is right for you and your particular circumstances.

One final thought: what if you get the 8SE and always wish you got the 6SE?:D

I have the 8SE and am very pleased with it, both the 6 and 8 have great optics, the 6 is on the same mount as the 8 so is somewhat better mounted. Both scopes are lightweight and can be carried complete with little difficulty. The 8 will be superior to the 6 on pretty much all counts, if it's to be a long term investment, go for it, you will soon recover from the increase in cost but the scope will still be with you. :D

Archived