NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1100d settings

tony

theres many threads about explaining the different exposure lengths, iso setting etc! on the camera but one i dont see is the f number. my 1100d can be set as low as f4.5 and up to f29.

any help much appreciated.

it'll be attaced to an ed80 if that helps.

short and sweet i know but i'm just off out the door to work.:D

its going to be mega frosty here tonight so i dont plan on being out too long.

but you dont have to use software with the 1100d though, right?

i do with the webcam for obvious reasons but is it a neccesity with dslr?

I would image you can use a shutter release cable or timer delay with dSLR so no you do not need to use software. However, this would be tedious if you are imaging a DSO requiring several hours unless your super human.

Software makes it so much easier to focus and capture with a dSLR, including FHWM focussing, plan creation and execution (number of exposures, duration, pause between exposure, ISO etc...), planetary imaging if your camera has Liveview (you can record video from Liveview frames). It saves the files direct to your PC with a customisable naming convention which will include target, duration of shot, EXIF temp (good for matching darks) amongst other data.

If you haven't got any, it is worth the small investment depending on if you are going to image DSO or if you want to do some planetary video with your dSLR.

Tony the ED80 is f/7.5... no choice in that... Do as good a job as you can on your polar alignment and balance, and see if you can get to 3 minute exposures at ISO800. If not, then 2 minutes will work. As for mirror lockup... to be honest, I no longer worry about it. The camera is held pretty solidly on my 80ED and that's pretty solid on my HEQ5, and I've not had issues by not using mirror lockup. I think any shake from the mirror slap will be negligible compared to the exposure time and won't be visible.

I use APT for camera control.

i have a remote shutter release.

i'll be using the webcam this evening on moon and jupiter but thought i'd give the dslr a go too a bit later.

i'll have to look up this byeos.

i can download it to the laptop.

one of the reasons for the dslr is the laptop i use is the o/h's for work mainly so when she's not using it then i can, but if she has it i can use the dslr.

That'll work, but see how far you can push the subs... when I started out with my HEQ5, 80ED and 450d, I had no issues with 2 to 3 minutes, and on one occasion managed 4 minutes... try 2 minutes and see if you're getting any trailing... if not, push it to 2.5 minutes and so on.

That'll work, but see how far you can push the subs... when I started out with my HEQ5, 80ED and 450d, I had no issues with 2 to 3 minutes, and on one occasion managed 4 minutes... try 2 minutes and see if you're getting any trailing... if not, push it to 2.5 minutes and so on.

thanks for the help. will give that a try later. 30 x 2? iso 800? 1600?

Archived