NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suggestions for 4" Tal

tom33pr

Folks,

I've been given a 4" refractor on loan from my local astro club, and absolutely love it.

I previously used a 10" DOB with Nagler and Hyperion type of eyepieces, but due to cretain circumstances I had to get rid of my previous kit and I'll be using Tal refractor for some time now. The current eyepieces I have are: Celestron plossl (25mm) and Meade 9.7 plossl.

Looking to get a high power 5 or 6mm, something around 17mm and possibly something as low as 30mm (I'm not planning to use a barlow).

I was wondering if any of you who have some experience with Tals could recommend some affordable brands with possibly wide FOV. Please note that I intend to possibly get them sh and cheap as possible.

I know I should have done my reading but I would like to hear what your experience was.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :D

Think Tal's are f/10 and so have the idea that 5mm or 6mm may be a bit too much.

BST's fit but not sure of £41 a piece is affordable. If it is then 8mm, 15mm or 18mm and the 25mm. Probably the 15mm.

They have a field of 60 deg so about 20% more then the standard plossl.

After that there are various SWAN's on the market.

Scopes and Skies do a range apparently under the Adler name, termed Wide Angle 5 element eyepieces and £30 a piece, the field on these is 60 degree again. They come in 8mm, 12mm, 17mm, 20mm offerings.

No idea how good they are but on an f/10 scope should be decent.

The Tal 100 will, seeing dependant easily take a 6mm eyepiece(167x). When I had my scope, this was my most used eyepiece FL, for high mag moon & planetary viewing. Looking at my sparse notes from then, I rarely could use the 5mm. Not because the scopes lens couldn't take the mag, but, the seeing just wasn't good enough.

Back then I used ortho's, erfles and konigs on mine. For low power I used a 2" diagonal and the Tal 24mm UWA eyepiece that I had got close to the same time as the 100RS.

So as you can gather, not exactly helpful to your question. You'll get a better reply from folk with the scope and more up to date eyepieces. One thing's for sure, the slowness of the scope makes it very eyepiece friendly.

Andy.

If its any good to you I use a Baader 8-24 Zoom with my 100RS and it easly does me for everything, I am more than happy with the veiws. I have used a 6mm and it was not fantastic, but then neither was the seeing! I use my scope for planetary and clusters. Very tight, sharp pin points veiws in clusters and doubles.

If you just want to just buy a couple of eyepieces I would, to increase your arsenal, buy 2, a 7mm and 15mm GSO/Meade 4000 plossils.

Archived