New To Astronomy - Looking At 8"+ Celestrons

Hi all,

I posted last week that i was interested in buying a Telescope and was willing to spend upto £500. Well after much thought i've decided to go straight for one of the Celestron 8" Telescopes. It's a lot of cash and i also want the Powertank and some extra Lenses, but hopefully this will be the only Telescope i ever need.

What i would like to know if pssible is whats the difference between the SE range and the other Celestrons. I've got my eye on the:

Celestron NexStar 8SE, but it's also in the same price range as the Celestron C10-N GT (GOTO) and others? Not sure which one to get?

Martin

Hi

The C10-N GT (Goto) will very quickly become an absolute chore to set up. Whilst as a second scope this may be bearable, as an only scope it would drive me up the wall. If you intend to house it in an obsy, then it'll be fine.

10" newts on EQ mounts are not really a portable option IMO.

The Nexstar 8SE by the same token is designed with portability in mind. So if you cannot set it up permenantly this would be a better option.

Personally for this sort of dough, and if I wanted Goto my choice would be the Skywatcher 300p Flextube Goto.

Hi,

Looking at how much money you have to spend over what you are wanting, you will not be able to afford a new Celestron like the ones you have indicated (they are around £1,200), so the only option open to you would be down the secondhand route. There are other Celestrons available to you within budget like the scope I own (Nexstar 127 SLT). This is a great scope and you can get them for around £370ish. This would give you enough cash to be able to get a powertank and lead and have some money left over for a barlow or better lens.

I think everyone needs two scopes. One for viewing and one for photography.

Whilst I agree that if you wish to do both it's best to keep them separate.

There is no reason for everyone to have both types.

The OP made no reference about wishing to do imaging so I assumed he was talking visual only.

Regards Steve

Hi

Personally for this sort of dough, and if I wanted Goto my choice would be the Skywatcher 300p Flextube Goto.

After recently buying the 200P and still loving it - I just think the get up and go nature of the Dob is priceless- I know this scope will be larger but long term I'd like to do AP So when / If I'm in a position to do it this is the scope I'd love to have

Archived