useful links for real beginners ....

i all

as part of my society's public outreach (scarborough & ryedale as) we do monthly observing nights at our observatory in dalby forest.

now, over the past few months i have been asked and / or mentioned several useful sites for the budding (but completely new) astronomer.

following this has been the usual scramble to try and find some paper and a (working) pen to jot these down !

what i am planning to do is print some business card style cards with the most useful sites (sgl will be one of them, have no fear!)

so far i have (in no particular order).....

stellarium.org

skymaps.com

stargazerslounge.com

any other suggestions ?

Eyes On The Sky > Home

Beginner star charts, glossary of terms, videos to help newbies find their way around the night sky, and overall an emphasis on naked eye, binocular, and easy-to-find objects that can be seen in small telescopes from light polluted areas (with the goal of reducing light pollution).

What is a book/tv show/ or website that can help me as a person who wants to study astronomy but knows nothing?

Lool

I'm not sure where you're from but if it's not available in shops, it can most definitely be found online. This is the starter kit I'm using. The book has loads of information as does the huge poster that's also included. There's also a planisphere which tells you where the stars and constellations will be at certain times of all nights of the year and when the sun will rise/set. This company as does a 'Guide to the Night Sky' which I found really useful :D

Sky View Cafe

When I started looking for astronomy forums, I stumbled upon this site and found this amazing application! It's had be fascinated and it has so much information on it.

• 11 months later...

Archived