Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adding more Deep Sky images to CdC

gfletcher

If you zoom in on an area, then click on 'DSS', then 'Download', it will download the image of any part of the sky you want. Thus:

post-16549-133877724364_thumb.jpg

post-16549-133877724359_thumb.jpg

You need to make sure you are zoomed into a small field of view, or it will give you an error message that the image is too large. I use this facility all the time. Very useful

Thanks Luke

I have tried this and it works fine.

I assumed that once downloaded it would always show the subject in pictorial mode but this does not seem to be the case.

Graham

Yes, every time you download an image it over-writes the existing one, but I find it invaluable to get an idea of exactly what an object or starfield looks like. I use it in my (so far completely unsuccessful) search for supernovae in my galaxy images.

Just managed to save an image file from CdC! Open CdC and find your object. Click on DSS (Thanks to Lukebl for that tip by the way!) and when the window opens right click onto and copy the target filestring. (Download and) open "FITS liberator" and when the "open" screen comes up paste the filestring into the filename box. It will download and open the file for you. You can then save the file in TIFF format.

What to do with the file then is entirely up to you!

• 5 weeks later...
Can someone tell me how to bring up the orientation retucule in CdC as shown in Luke's screenshots?

Cheers

Go to Setup > Display > Finder rectangle(CCD) and set your camera details. Mine was a bit trial and error, but for my scope/cam combination the settings were width 28.60, Height 21.10, Rotation 130.00, Offset 0,00, but that will obviously depend on your camera sensor size and the focal length of your telescope.

Archived