Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Friday afternoon scope

I met with the local astronomy group last night and a had a fantastic nights viewing, much easier when people can point things out with lasers. The skies became crystal clear about nine and I managed to rack up the Moon, Jupiter, Mars, Pleiades, Andromeda, Orion, M65, M66... with a little help. The only low point was one of the chaps (with forty years experience) pointing out I have two great finger print swipes on my primary. As the scope is new and only three weeks old should I take it back ?

The declination on the EQ was also confirmed to be incorrect (difficult to turn and squeaky), so I think at least some of the scope has to be returned...

The scope was not bought from FLO.

Any advice...

Get in touch with the retailer and say you want a replacement. If the scope was delivered with finger marks on the mirror and a mount that does not work smoothly it's simply not satisfactory.

Same with scopes - the mirrors should be pristine on delivery - if they've been touched it suggests someone has had a hand down the tube or the mirror has been removed since manufacture.

As John says - it's a soiled product and the retailer should replace it for a perfect one. Hope that helps :D

get your money back and buy from a reputable dealer like FLO

Hang on... I have every confidence at the moment that the dealer I bought it from will be able to resolve the issues. Both issues are hard to spot and all companies seem to deliver the odd bum product from time to time. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hang on... I have every confidence at the moment that the dealer I bought it from will be able to resolve the issues. Both issues are hard to spot and all companies seem to deliver the odd bum product from time to time. I'll let you know how it goes.

If the dealer that supplied the scope will resolve the issue then that's the best way forward I think. As you say, no company will achieve a 100% result.

• 3 weeks later...

These sort of posts never get a follow up but I thought I would break the mould. The dealer was very helpful and provided two further new 150p scopes and EQ3-2 mounts, sadly on use they all had faults which the dealer acknowledged. The dealer offered a refund in frustration with the Quality Assurance of SkyWatcher.

I should add I loved the 150p and if I could send it somewhere nice in the UK so they could put it together properly I would be a happy man.

Now I am looking for a new scope (anything but SkyWatcher / Celestron) ...

The declination on the EQ was also confirmed to be incorrect (difficult to turn and squeaky), so I think at least some of the scope has to be returned...

Some simple adjustments should loosen up the Dec axis. A set of allen keys and about 30 minutes work.

You can also strip down the mount and regrease it with quality lubricant and not the skywatcher gunk.

I'm assuming your skywatcher is on an EQ3-2 mount like mine.

The EQ3-2 thread in DIY astronomy has full details.

Badgers

Archived