Cg5 gt mount slow to respond at slower rates.

Hi all I have a cg5 gt mount that for the most part works fine, however when trying to centre a star in the viewfinder at rate 5,it can take the mount 20 to 30 seconds to actually start moving even though you can hear the gear going.

Any one else have this and more importantly any one have a fix :-)

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Has it always been like this, or has it just started playing up?

Before going to the trouble of stripping down your mount, it might be worth checking:

(1) that you have the latest firmware updates for the handset and motor controller (available from the Celestron website)

(2) that the anti-backlash settings are OK and / or that you can't tune out the problem by adjusting the anti-backlash.

I think on your controller the anti-backlash settings are accessed from the Scope Setup menu.

Course, if it has only just started to do this then it does sound like you need to physically adjust the gears...

It's always been like that, I only have it a few months. I brought it back today and the guy said ah yeh my mount is like that. But he did mention the anti-backlash. Will have a look at that thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's backlash. You should always have a little to allow for the expansion and contraction of the metals in the mount (as temps vary) without the gears binding, but 30 secs worth does sound a bit extreme.

Thanks all, I messed around with the anti-backlast there for the DEC settings since thats the one that has the delay, but no luck. As for the firmware update, been trying that but cant get the software to detect the handset. I have a make shift serial to rj12 i made myself which works for controlling the mount, but celestron software doest seem to like it :-(.

Archived