Eyepiece Sets

Personally speaking I prefer to buy as I go. Sometimes in sets I think you get too many, especially if you own a Barlow too. Some of the ep's can be duplicated, ie a 20mm ep & Barlow equals 10mm etc. Its a very personal choice though. Dont know about eyepiece sets I have always bought in the singular. But it would be a shame to buy a whole set & not like them. Good luck..

I was going to buy a set but im glad I didnt now, instead I found after a while I was using certain,combinations of the stock ones more than others and then bought just those in better quality. Eg. I bought a bst expolrer in 25mm for large dso and 8mm for planets, effectively 4, 8, 12.5 and 25, keeping the supplied barlow for now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hi Tribal...not all sets are a step up from what you have, however, the Revellation/GSO do seem to be... how many you would truthfully use & how many of the coloured filters would get used compared to buying individually plus a £4 moon-filter I'm not sure.

I went down the single route... for an 8inch Dob... a good budget eyepiece is the BST explorer...for a marked improvement over the supplied ones... celestron X-Cel LX...both give a wider view & can be used with the barlow you have...& also when you up-grade to a better barlow... as UHF said... a 25mm & a 8/9mm is a good starting point

I have the Revelation Photo-Visual kit which I am pleased with -although I can only compare the eyepieces with the basic ones supplied with my scope. As a newcomer I had no idea what I wanted but this kit seemed to get good reviews and will last a lifetime so what I don't use now will no doubt be used in the future. The case is a decent size and I have cut extra holes for my other kit so it is all in one place. I think the 32mm eyepiece is my favourite and is really handy for moon shots using the DSLR camera.

I have the older version of the Revelation set as well and have been very happy with it (the newer version has dropped one eyepiece in favour of a barlow, I believe, which has to be an improvement on the one that Skywatcher ship with some of their scopes). I tend to use all of them (perhaps "because they're there" :icon_salut:, but generally it seems to be the longer focal lengths for DSOs and the shorter ones for lunar and planetary viewing. Some of the filters I've probably never used, but for me the number and quality of the eyepieces in the kit justified the price alone.

If you know what you want, it probably makes sense to buy individual eyepieces. If you're really not sure and would like to experiment a bit then I think the Revelation kit is a very cost-effective way to do that. If I find I grow out of mine then they'll certainly be kept for my children to use.

James

I should add that the kit also suits me because I prefer to not to use a barlow other than for imaging. No particularly "technical" reason for doing so; I just prefer to have just the one bit of kit hanging out of the diagonal.

James

get the kit if you want it ,i used this set for a year and its not a bad kit at all the color filters are ok as well blue one there great for jupiter the filters will get used i got the photo visual kit

the 32 mm is not a bad ep from that kit

Archived