Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LRGB color filter selection....head spinning

jsigone

With a wide range of price between them all, what is the difference? I just acquired a old SX HX916 for pretty darn cheap. I'm assuming I just need 1.25" with my F4.8 scope. Correct?

Orions are $150

Astronomiks are $290

Baaders are $360

Astrodons are $450

Some of those are getting into narrow band country!! The baaders and Astrodons have the LP gap between green and red so might be able to get away w/o a LP filter in my area (boarder of Red/Orange zone) So might be worth the extra $$ if I don't need to buy another CLS filter ($120US)

Anyone have experiences with any of these sets in LP?

Santa was really good to me last December and got me a set of 2" LRGB's from Baader. I would have liked the Astrodon's, but they are so expensive and I needed to let everyone else get some pressies too.

Only had a few evenings playing so far, but I don't think I made a bad choice.

I also got a 2" Ha and the newly released SX Superstar for guiding, but I REALLY deserved them.

The filters work well together, no re-focusing required either.

I did try them with an Astronomik LP filter, but they seemed to fight each other, leaving me with some wierd ghosting.

I don't know much about the Orion filters, I do get worried about low cost items and wonder what the difference is...

Gordon,

I'm leaning towards the Astronomiks or baader. The astronomiks have a bit narrow green filter and larger gap between the red oppose to the baader. This I assume is for LP. I don't really want to risk reflections of stacking filters if not needed.

If you think you might want to do narrowband at some stage the Baaders have a narrower bandwidth than the Astronomiks. They're not as narrow as Astrodons but cheaper. I went for Baaders to have all parfocal. Second hand Baaders probably come up for sale more often than Astrodons.

Archived