NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What a night of observing.

darrenbushnalluk

What a night, set the 10 inch and Watec up and really enjoyed myself, M1 The Crab nebula was extremely detailed and took about an hour to sketch. M82 was just amazing, never seen that amount of detail in it before.

NGC2419 the intergalactic wanderer had a bit of resolution but mostly looked like black pepper sprinkled upon black velvet and I dont think I'll get any better than what I saw last night.

NGC 2261 Hubbles variable nebula had more detail than I thought would be there but very pleased at the view.

M78 showed a fair amount of detail but was been spoilt by light pollution.

I was out for about 5 hours in total.

Darren

post-24805-133877722243_thumb.jpg

post-24805-133877722247_thumb.jpg

post-24805-133877722251_thumb.jpg

post-24805-133877722254_thumb.jpg

post-24805-133877722257_thumb.jpg

Great pictures Darren.

I think you're the only person on the forum who's combining video astronomy with sketching. It's certainly a more innovative way of eliminating noise than Registax. ?

Comparing your Crab with what I see with my Watec, yours is definitely more detailed, which is not surprising with your extra 6" of aperture over me.

There's a couple of DSOs there that I've never seen - the fact there's a globular visible in the winter sky is complete news to me. I'll stick them on my observing list for next time.

Thanks.

Tim

They're great pictures! Would be interested to know how you are combining video and sketching...are you shooting a movie and then sketching the result?

No I would consider that cheating, I actually sit in a tent by the computer and sketch live off the screen constantly tweaking the controls on the Watec handset to bring as much detail as I can.

Is this really how they appear on the screen? quite astonishing. great sketches (that seems insulting to call them sketches!).

I do tweak the controls constantly bringing out different levels of detail, low frame rate to bring out very bright areas lke the central part of M42 then going a full 256 frames for the fainter stuff then you have to constantly mess around with the gain and possibly the gamma, worth it though :)

Great pictures Darren.

I think you're the only person on the forum who's combining video astronomy with sketching. It's certainly a more innovative way of eliminating noise than Registax.

Comparing your Crab with what I see with my Watec, yours is definitely more detailed, which is not surprising with your extra 6" of aperture over me.

There's a couple of DSOs there that I've never seen - the fact there's a globular visible in the winter sky is complete news to me. I'll stick them on my observing list for next time.

Thanks.

Tim

The globular NGC 2149 is a real pain, easy to see with the watec but to resolve:eek: but considering its about 300,000 light years distant I can forgive it :)

Archived