NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A telescope upgrade that can do Planets and DSO's

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dag123,

I'll upload any pictures I take with the Tal x3 when I get it. It's so tempting to get one now, but I need all my money for a mount at the moment :-)

They recommend the Tal on this thread -

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/115493-embarrassing-jupiters-webcam-clinic.html

I guess I could always get the eq130 motor and the barlow first and get the mount later.

What's the motor like? Have you taken any pictures of DSO's?

Hi Pel,

That Embarrassing Jupiters thread is where I found all the information to get me started and you can find some more of my initial photos in there.

The motor kit for my Astromaster was well worth it. instead of being able to capture 100-200 frames as the planet drifted across the screen I am now able to get 1200-1500 with it pretty much central.

The downsides with the motor is that firstly it replaces the manual RA control. This was not too much of an issue for me as I can still drag the scope but might require you relearn how you get to target.

The other drawback is that the motor does get in the way when you try and move the OTA into certain positions. So far this has not prevented me from seeing anything but you have to be a bit clever how to move things about to avoid the motor.

As to DSOs, it is hard enough to see them visually with my light pollution so I have not really tried. Once Jupiter goes out of sight I will turn to Mars and then perhaps something brighter like M42 or M31, but I am not expecting much.

dag123

That's amazing for the AstroMaster 130EQ :icon_salut: Well done. I shall have to put mine back on for planetary and see how it goes. It's just slightly longer focal length than my ED80 frac (650 v 600mm) but nearly twice the aperture (130 v 80mm).

Not done much as yet - not many clear nights since I got it! But yes, I intend doing both though more DSO hopefully. This scope is considered as more of a DSO imaging scope.

I think it should be alright on an HEQ5 - the weight is within the mount limit for AP I believe. I got an NEQ6 mount for future proofing if I get a bigger scope later.

Tried my new Tal 3x Barlow last night. Was Jupiter really blurry for everyone last night :-)

I've ordered a Collimator and am hoping this will make Jupiter less blurry.

Dag123 - I'm trying to get a picture with the Tal barlow.

I tried it with the 10mm Celestron eyepiece that came with the telescope and also a SPC880NC, I could only get a blurry white disc at best.

I had achieved better than that 2 weeks previously with a cheap Celestron 2x power lens and the webcam.

If it's clear tonight I'll see what I can see of the moon.

Bought a laser collimator from Ebay I calibrated that, and then collimated the telescope.

Tried my 10mm on the moon and Jupiter and they both produced crystal clear images. Jupiter's moons looked like clear white points.

Tried the Tal x3 barlow with my SPC900NC and the 10mm celestron firstly on the moon, the moon looked ok with the barlow and the 10mm. Jupiter just looked like a blurry white disk again through the lens and camera.

If Dag123 hadn't produced such a great picture of Jupiter with an ED x3 barlow I would have thought I had exceeded the maximum limit of the scope, but now I don't know. :D

EDIT - I enjoyed being out the garden with the telescope though and the moon and jupiter looked great with the 10mm eyepiece.

The thread has moved on from then but can I just come back to field rotation in alt-az mounts for a sec? Think of the constellation of Orion. For northeners, when Orion rises the hunter figure is leaning over to the left (East). As he crosses the Meridian he is fairly upright. When he sets he is leaning to the right (west.) The figure is rotating over time. On an EQ mount the telescope rotates with him. On an Alt Az it doesn't.

Olly

Switching back to the Jupiter images. Please remember my images are the output of registax, the raw-stacked image does appear "blurred" until the magical wavelet filters do their stuff!

If I am looking at Jupiter visually I would not normally bother with a barlow as the image does appear blurred. I usually stick to to my Celestron X-Cel ED 10m EP as this gives the clearest views, albeit a small image. With good seeing I will switch to my 5mm Celestron X-Cel ED. This won't give me a clearer image, just larger, and I will have to stare harder to make out the detail.

In fact I would have to say that I am really only using my barlows for webcam use now.

dag123

I've Collimated my scope already and have now ordered a Bahtinov mask from Martin at FLO.

Next time the seeing is good I focus with the mask and capture as many frames as I can, then I guess see what Registax makes of it.

Thanks for the advice Dag123.

Archived