Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula and Leo Galaxys

Quatermass

Well I thought last night was so nice and clear I would have one more go at the Orion Nebula before moving on to M96 in Leo.30 subs at 30 second ISO 1600 and 30 at 800. That done it was on to find M96 and much frustration trying to get them lined up correctly before thin clouds moved in and spoiled things. But I was happy with my Orion Nebula even though the galaxy's didn't come out that great.

Its weird but if you look into the core of the nebula you can see two faces looking at each other like a little pixie and a happy laughing face also the little pixie has a more serious face that faces the left of the picture others have said they see a big hummingbird and others say they see an angel.:)

Orion%252520Nebula%252520angel.jpg

M69%252520leo%252520galaxy%252520cluster1.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Stan cant wait to get the guiding set up thats going to really help matters. The 200p is a big scope but gives a great performance for both observing and imaging. Only drawback is I cant fit every thing in the shot :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

wow very impressive. Assume that was taken with one of the DSLR's. Are they modded?

did you use any barlow or camera straight to scope?

I was going to send my 350d to get modded but after seing this i dont think i'll bother just yet. well done mate great pics. Can't wait for another clear night now.

This was taken with the camera on the scope with t ring adapter. Would use the barlow for the moon but not deepsky objects. :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

thats probably where i'm going wrong, many thanks. Bet your well chuffed with the m42 pic though mate

how many darks did you take?

I took 60 darks flats Lights and Bias offset shots and 70 main photos of M42 ISO was 1600 at 30 seconds for 30 shots then ISO was 800 and 30 seconds for another 30 shots then 10 at an ISO of 800 and 15 seconds to capture the core.

Dark skies after 2 days of rain so atmosphere was crisp and clean and Orion was in the south in the area that backs on to endless farmers fields. Very good seeing for that night makes a big difference. The darks flats and light are done the night before as the temperature is about the same and kept as a master set for later use.

I dont have a guided system yet and have taken all my photos with out a guided system up to know but that's about to change as I want to get longer exposures past 2 minutes. However if your polar alignment is good and your subs are reasonable you can still get some good results. Heres a detailed account of what I am doing that will help explain it. :)

Star Gazing

Oh my!!!! Im looking at getting a 200P...and if this is what I can expect...im even more excited now!!!!:):hello2: What a cracking capture!! well done :)

Love my 200p had it over a year now and still very happy with it Im sure you will have a lot of fun with it, just be sure to change the latitude bolts for some stronger ones as the ones that come with it are a bit on the soft and bendy side so when you get it be very gentle with them and dont over tighten them.:)

I took 60 darks flats Lights and Bias offset shots and 70 main photos of M42 ISO was 1600 at 30 seconds for 30 shots then ISO was 800 and 30 seconds for another 30 shots then 10 at an ISO of 800 and 15 seconds to capture the core.

Dark skies after 2 days of rain so atmosphere was crisp and clean and Orion was in the south in the area that backs on to endless farmers fields. Very good seeing for that night makes a big difference. The darks flats and light are done the night before as the temperature is about the same and kept as a master set for later use.

I dont have a guided system yet and have taken all my photos with out a guided system up to know but that's about to change as I want to get longer exposures past 2 minutes. However if your polar alignment is good and your subs are reasonable you can still get some good results. Heres a detailed account of what I am doing that will help explain it. :)

Star Gazing

thankyou so much Quatermass for the writup, being as the sky here in Northern Ireland will be overcast to say the least will give me a chance to do some dark and bias shots for later when the clouds clear, i'm also going to watch you vids in your blog.

cheers mate

Holy Moley Quatermass! what a cracking m42!! nice balance between the core and extended nebulae, some lovely shades in their, I really like the core and detail around the trapezium! you know its a great image you spend a long time staring at it. Nice framing of the leo group as well it must have been tricky to find :)

Your really getting the most out of you kit now mate :)

Hi Chris thank you very much, I think that M42 must be one of the most imaged targets in the night sky for astrophotographers but the cool thing about it is you keep coming back to it again and again. This was my first ever attempt at it way back in December 2010 I was over joyed at getting this first shot I had no idea what I was doing back then lol.

Orien%2BNebula2.jpg

The Leo Galaxy's were fun to find but Im going to get much better results when I have my guiding system in place there pretty small blobs and need longer time to cook well great fun to find and capture though.I like to get every last drop of telescope goodness out of my set up lol.

Absolutely amazing images, Jaw dropping.

Well worth the effort.

Congratulations on creating such a stunning piece of art.

Hi Neil

Many thanks for your kind comments m45 is a great target but its quickly going away now so wont be seeing it again till next november when it dips below the horizon. So many wonderful things to see up there glad I bought myself a telescope best thing I ever did :)

Archived